1995 Honda Passport -- Low Fuel Light Constantly On

What would cause my low fuel light to remain on, even after filling the tank?
TIA

ajpdla wrote:

does the level read low too? if so, it could be a rear impact bending a baffle inside the tank holding the float still. jacking the vehicle up by the tank can cause the same problem too.
if the level reads ok independent of the low light, it might be a wiring problem. electrical problems on the level are either needle hard up for open circuit, or off the bottom for closed circuit.
Maybe it's LOW octane fuel...
Sorry... couldn't resist.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails; play dead
Great. Now the damned thing is thinking for itself. :)

replace the fuel sending unit. Chip

In my 1985 Celica the sender unit had a seperate contact that closed when the fuel in the tank got low enough. I suspect the 1995 Passport uses a similar setup. If this is the situation, then the fuel tank will have to be removed and the defective switch repair/replaced. It is posible, thoguh unlikely that Honda could have used an electronic voltage sensor to trip the light when the fuel gauge reads below some set point. Given the greater complexity, ie expense, I suspect that Honda went with the same basic sensor that my Celica used. A diagram of the electronics should show how the light works. Removing a fuel tank is not hard, be sure to syphon out as much fuel as you can, a 12 gallon tank full of fuel is, awkward! IT is not for the faint of heart. Disconnect the battery! And when I work on the fuel system, I get my wife to stay close by with Halon. IF it was me, I would almost certainly ignore the problem. Good luck.
Yeah. I'm thinking about removing the bulb, at this point.

it's the same unit as the fuel level unit. the tanks aren't bad to drop. having a brass punch to remove the retaining ring is another thing. it's an odd animal since it is an isuzu rodeo. Chip
I own a 1995 Honda Passport, so I looked in a '95 Passport wiring diagram.
It shows two fuel level sensors, one for the fuel guage and the other operates the low fuel light.
I would guess the the low fuel sensor is sticking.
All the fuel sensors that I have seen are mechanical....A float rubs on a coil of resistance wire
I never let my fuel level get below a quarter full so my low fuel light has never come on. I wonder if mine would stick if I let it get low enough.
On 22 Nov 2004 17:59:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@chipanddebby.com (Chip Stein) wrote:

My wife drives our Rodeo to work, for the most part, and she is in the habit of letting it go until the fuel gauge is almost resting on E before getting gas, yet the fuel low indicator light never comes on. On the other hand, the fuel gauge sometimes seems a bit erratic and will not show full even though I have topped off the tank, especially during cold weather. Perhaps one of these days my wife will let the tank get a bit too empty and we'll find out it the low end of the gauge is any more accurate than the high end.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails; play dead