1996 Honda Passport hasn't been driven in 3 years

So i replaced my starter on this thing, now im just scared to start it. What do i need to do before i start it. THe car hasn't moved in 3 years. So far i have replaced the starter (thats what caused the parking for four years), new battery, new sparkplugs, changed the oil and filter.

What else do i need to do before i try starting it?

Reply to
eyeless

You could remove each spark plug and spray a load of WD40 or even penetrating oil in there to help unstick the rings and get the rust a little softer... let it sit overnight.

then crank it for 2 secs and let it sit for an hour and do it again and let it sit for an hour... you know, get it lubed up a bit before starting it.

all in all, you probably dont have to do anything.

eyeless wrote:

Reply to
Kaz

good point. i forgot about that one. if the tank is near empty, you could probably fill it up with fresh gas and hope that there are no gas clog issues. three years, probably shouldnt be. i suppose one could use some sort of an additive even in old fuel to help loosen it up? anyone? anyone?

MMC wrote:

Reply to
Kaz

I'd think draining the tank and fuel lines would take care of it. I've got a generator full of gas sitting in storage that I think I'll have to drain as the gas is a year old. I dispose old mix gas by adding 1/2 gallon or so at a time by putting it into my truck and topping the tank. Thins it out enough that it doesn't foal the plugs or gum up the fuel system. I could take it to the county haz waste disposal, but really don't want to take time off from work to do stuff like that. MMC

Reply to
MMC

Mix it with some diesel fuel and you'll have a great charcoal lighter fluid... I can't remember for sure, but I think 50/50 mix is right...? Dad uses it all the time for BBQing.

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

I had to carry a bag of fuel filters in my old 1971 mustang after it sat for about 2 years. Filter would clog about once a week till I ran about

6 tanks through it.
Reply to
miles

Hey thanks for all the replies... one really dumb question... by crank you mean hand cranking the engine? how would i do that?

Reply to
eyeless

You can disconnect the ignition and crank with the starter.

Reply to
DollarBill

how do you do that? Ill have to check the manual i guess. Thank yoU!!!!

Reply to
eyeless

pull out he eCM fuse and crank it over. But I would not bother I have had engine sit longer then that n and have had NO adverse problem if the engine is old it most likely has tons of old oil on the walls, plus oil will flow fast though that ongine go fo r it

Reply to
David Naylor