1997 Trooper

I'm considering a 1997 Trooper S w/90k miles on it and wanted to get a few more opinions good, bad or ugly about it. I like the size of the Trooper both inside and out. A new SUV is out of the question. Not enough cash and they seem for the most part to be more show than go.

Are there certain things to look for, did the '97s have a good reputation or were there problem areas with it?

Thx!

Reply to
Steve

97's have the 3.2L engine which eats a lot less oil than the 3.5L in the 98+. I also dont like the 99+ torque on demand, so also, the 97 is good there. Replace the hub flanges with manual locks and you are golden. 97 is my choice of all Isuzus.

Kaz

Reply to
Kaz

I would recommend a Trooper to just about anyone!

That 95 (or 96? Or is there a 95.5?) thru 97 body style is probably my favorite... We have a 94 and an 02, I like them both in different ways.

A few points to ponder...the 3.2 v6 uses oil. That's just the way it is. If you're not willing to keep tabs on it, don't buy a Trooper. Some do so more than others, can't say why though... Unless it's already been replaced, you'll likely be putting a starter on it in the next 20-40k miles or so. The 3.2's seem to like to eat up starters - probably due to the long cranking time for whatever reason.

Aside from that, there's not much to not love. It's a rugged vehicle that I think would serve you for a long time (as long as you keep a check on the oil and don't let it run too low!) One thing you might check is to see if it has the limited slip differential on the rear-end, that's a nice feature. If you can't tell any other way, look for a "G80" (if I'm remember correctly, pretty sure that's right) option on the engine code plate.

Good luck!

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

I ended up buying a 1996 w/107k miles on it. My local mechanic is doing a complete fluid change, plugs, wires, cap, etc. and replacing an axle seal. There's a few degrees of play in the steering - I've heard this is common on Troopers - is this so, or is it a steering box adjustment, tie-rods?

Otherwise it seems good - all power stuff works, A/C - maybe it needs shocks/struts.

Thx!

Wesley wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Sounds nice! I think that particular style is my favorite...I think they had that style (boxy front end, but different grill and fender flares, vinyl tire cover) from 95 (was there a 95.5 Trooper like there was in the Rodeos?) to 1997. All the older Troopers (a 93 and 2 94's) I've driven have that bit of play in the steering. After a short time, you forget it's there. I'm sitting here and can't decide if I've noticed that in our 2002 or or not...but it's only got 26k on the clock. If there's an adjustment, I've never heard anything about it.

If it hasn't already had a starter on it, keep some money aside, I'd bet it will need one in the next 10-20k miles. Does it tend to crank for a short time before it fires up? I know the 93-94's with the 3.2 tend to do that - I think it wears on the starter. Also, don't forget your timing belt - it's due at 120k if I remember correctly.

Tell us some more...what's it look like, etc? Any photos you can share?

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley