1999 Trooper TOD

Last night my check light came on for the TOD system. Today it was out. We drove it around and it worked fine all day. Tonight the front wheel indicator
for TOD showed 50% on dry pavement. It was erratic at times. Any ideas what could be wrong with the TOD system. Thanks Trees
Hmmm...so how are you supposed to engage 4wd when you're truly stuck? :-)

| Hmmm...so how are you supposed to engage 4wd when you're truly stuck? :-) |
Well, except when my vacuum switch wasn't working - which seemed to completely disable the 4WD - I've been able to put the thing in neutral in my driveway, shove the low range lever forward, and you can feel the front grab right away and start pulling as soon as you go into Drive. I've pulled my trooper out of my driveway, over the danged pile of frozen slush the snowplow driver insists on leaving for me, and onto the road several times this way. You have to get it back out of low range right away on dry pavement. You can feel the front tires really scrubbing and stiff turning on the dry pavement so I try not to go more than a few feet before I stop and get it out of low range. BTW, this works no matter whether you have the TOD switch in (on) or out (off). That low range is pure 4WD. I haven't been totally stuck, but I've noticed when I punch in the TOD switch while standing still, the lights flash on and off slowly (same as when it isn't working), until I move the car. It doesn't seem to take much - just a few inches and the green light goes on steady. But this doesn't happen with the low range (assuming the vacuum switch is working). All of the lights come on instantly. You can actually feel the front end lurch forward as soon as you put the thing from neutral to drive. To get the thing out of low range, you must stop and put the transmission in neutral, once again. So, when you can use it, the TOD is much more convenient. And probably much easier on your tires.
Chuck
OK, makes sense... I've used the 4L on it a few times when I wanted 4wd to be readily available... had it out on the beach on the Outer Banks of NC and quickly realized TOD wasn't going to cut it - it was kicking in almost too late, so I went to 4L and it was fine. Good to know it locks in really quickly when you need it (distance-wise).
Thanks,
Wesley

:-)
pulled