2000 Rodeo 4x4 problems

Had a bit of snow last weekend and the wife used the 4x4 option for a bit. Since the roads have cleared there seems to be some binding and clunking in the front end on sharp turns, this would seem to
indicate that the 4x4 isn't disengaging even though it's turned of and the indicator is off. To test this theory I parked the truck on some still snow covered grass and stomped on it, truck spun the rear wheels only, I then turned on 4x4, waited till the indicator went solid, and stomped on it, to my surprise the front wheels did nothing, only rear wheel drive, to the point that I had to rock the truck to get it out of the ruts I made. Any ideas what could be the problem, and am I correct in assuming this would be covered by the powertrain warranty?