2000 Trooper Oil Disaster NEED HELP

My daughter purchased a 2000 Trooper with 41,000 miles on it. She loaded her stuff into it and moved out to Utah. She had a total of 1500 miles on it and the engine seized up on her. There was only about 1 quart in the engine at the time this happened. She put and some of that leaked out on the flatbed. The mechanic who has it now cannot find any leak and says that "Isuzus are notorious for burning oil." 4 quarts in

1500 miles sounds pretty rediculous. The body on this vehicle is immaculate. The mechanic tells me we are talking about $8,300.00. She paid $7,700.00 for this vehicle. At this point I think we should scrap the car. Is this worth anything in its current state?

Does anyone have any advice?

Reply to
Bob

I think that I'd try

and at least try to get it back on the road so you don't take a huge beating on it. I'd also find another mechanic if for nothing else, a second opinion. Andy

99 Amigo
Reply to
Busman

Isuzu's do burn oil but not that much. Usually about 1qt per 4-5,000 miles I've seen many times. $8,300 to rebuild or replace the engine sees way too high. I'd try asking a few other mechanics or the dealer.

Reply to
miles

1qt every 500 miles is not exactly unseen...

Peter

Reply to
Peter

True but thats the exception. People have gotten Isuzu to replace the engine in those rare cases. My 1999 Amigo with V6 burned about 1qt per

4,000 miles. It's because of the short skirt piston design Isuzu used. It reduces friction and increases performance...but burns oil.
Reply to
miles

Check out the sites below. Sounds like the mechanic is either talking about a new block or is wanting you to finance his new hot tub! If you can get a used engine at a substantial discount over a rebuilt, that's the way I would go as these engines are good for a couple hundred k-miles if the oil is changed regularly. Find a local "good ol boy" (like the high school auto shop teacher) and he'll be happy to do the swap for $500 and have it done in a weekend.

MMC

Reply to
sdrockguy

I just rebuilt a trooper engine, all original parts cost was $1400 and it took 2 weeks. runs like new.

Reply to
moshe