2002 Axiom: A/C problem

My A/C is no longer blowing cold air, and I'm getting a sort of grinding noise when i turn the a/c on.... Am I just low on refrigerant? Can I fill it up myself with those kits at any auto parts
store????
Eric
Is yours still under warranty? Could be a bad A/C clutch or a bad compressor. You could recharge it yourself but if it is low, the leak must be found first. Also, if very much has leaked out then you'll need a compressor to draw a vacuum on the line prior to recharging.