88 Isuzu PU need $300 solenoid? !!!

I am looking for advice about my pickup & what my mechanic told me. Evidently its not the starter needs replaced, but the solenoid? He said it would cost $300 for the part.
Does that sound right for such an old vehicle? He says its solenoid. I thought the starter had a solenoid. Im confused. Help if you got any ideas. Trish
Woman, are you ALWAYS trying to "start something"???
Bruce (Jeep Page)
Well, I went and did some research (as always) and I need to know which engine your I-Suzie has in it?
2.3 Liter 2.6 Liter
Both are 4 cylinders.
Later, Bruce

I havent a clue which it is. I'll get back to ya later today. Trish
How about a Briggs and Stratton "pull rope"?
I will be off the 'phewter most likely until this evening or tomorrow, so don't give up. I did notice that no matter which engine you have that $300.00 is about $225.00 too much...
Find that engine info woman!
Bruce

Just got to TRY! LOL Your so cute Bruce! Trish

$85, with your old starter as a turnin. If it's brand new, it may be a bit more. If you're hurting for cash, and the bushings aren't gone in your old starter, just replacing the brushes will often breath a new life into the old original starter, assuming the commutator area is not burned, or scored. I had to fabricate a new contact piece for my soleniod on my 86 Trooper with a 2.3L gas engine, and as far as I know, it's still running with over 200K on it. Either way, I'd find another mechanic, one that won't rip you off. Steve