89 Trooper - broken odometer and check engine light

I have an 89 Isuzu Trooper with a couple of problems. I bought this car for my son about 1 year ago and now he has shipped out to Kuwait so it comes back to me to sell.

  1. The odometer is not working. The dealer says it a cable odometer but neither they or the manual will talk about it. Before I buy a cable I'd like to check if it just came loose or something. Is the odometer accessable under the dash or hood or what? Is this something a slightly handy amateur can install at home?

  1. The check engine light comes on after being driven for a little while and stays on until the car is turned off. It seems like (but not completely certain) that it comes on if the car starts going uphill. Anyway, it's always at least a few minutes before it comes on.

Reply to
Dave