89 Trooper II 2.6 ZE1 w/145,000 miles

After replacing head gaskets for the 3rd time(kept overheating) in the last 10,000 miles, I gave up and let the Trooper sit for the last 2 years. I had a problem with a clogged radiator(clogged with mud outside possibly from the front end being in flood water) and one of the cylinders was not working properly. I would like to get it back up and running and was wondering what all would need replacing and serviced after sitting that long.

The big thing is should I get a remanufactured motor or new. The bodys in great shape and has a newer tranny, clutch, fuel injectors, fuel pump, and fan clutch, some sensors, plugs,wires, etc.

If I go to a motor exchange shop which I have one about 5 miles from where I live what should I expect to get. The bare motor or all the bells and whistles. With all of the newer parts on my engine I'm not really sure which was is the most cost effective.

One more question. Is there any other motors (not Isuzu) I could put in.

Appreciate answers to any or all questions in advance.

KIM

Greetings:

Why don't you go the motor exchange shop and ask? They probably have a variety of options.

New is going to cost a lot of money.

Look for a low mileage replacement from a wrecked vehicle. A friend found a Toyota engine with 5k miles on it that way. There may be some 'issues' from disuse, example - rust in cylinders, dried seals & rubber fittings, etc.

'Remanufactured' motors are typically brought to original tolerances except for cylinder bore and other machining operations. Check out the warranty. This would be the highest quality next to a new Isuzu motor.

'Rebuilt' motors quality depends on the individual who does the work. Can be better than new, can be terrible.

Definitely buy a new radiator. You could go 'exploring'. In other words, pull the engine, strip it down and inspect. The lowest cost option, provided you are competent and equipped, is to rebuild the motor yourself.

Regards, Jim Brown

Reply to
Jim Brown