'89 Trooper sunroof

I have an 89 Trooper that I've had since new. I'm now going to restore it to some semblance of its former glory.

I'd like to add a large rag-top sunroof, something like

. Two questions:

  1. Structural. I'll be cutting through the front roll bar (between the pillars behind the front doors). Anyone done this? Any experiences, good or bad? My trooper is used 100% for street driving at relatively low speeds. I don't anticipate any sort of off-road experience with it anymore. Since the trooper is a body-on-frame, it shouldn't really be that bad - but still, I'd like to know if someone has done this.

  1. Installation - the 88-91 body style has very pronounced ribs on the roof. Anyone install a sunroof of any type in one of these? How did you deal with the ribs? I figure some kind of caulk or fiberglass to build up the roof to a flat surface that the sunroof can seal against....

The end result is for this vehicle to be attractive enough to use as a corporate car.

--Dondo

Reply to
Captain Dondo