'90 isuzu wring for camper - please help

On the truck side there is an orange, purple and white wire that led to a plug that I cut off leaving only the 3 wires. On the camper side there is a brown(park,tail), white(ground), yellow(left turn), green(right turn) and red(brake). Anyone know which wire is what on the truck side? Would an adapter be necessary to connect this correctly or could I somehow straight wire it? Thanks

Reply to
smithcbr600

Most trailers have a flat, 4 pole connector. The pins are: ground, left turn/brake, right turn/brake, and tail lights. I don't recall at the moment what the colors are. A separate brake line is unusual, unless the trailer has electric brakes? How big is the trailer, anyway? Does it have separate turn and brake lights?

If you have a Trooper, which I assume, you have separate turn and brake bulbs; a trailer most likey has a domestic-style combined turn and tail.

If the trailer has combined turn and brake lights, here's what you need to do:

You need an adapter to splice into the wiring harness. You can get the adapter at any autoparts place; they're about $10.

On my '89 trooper, the main wiring harness comes in to the driver's side taillight assembly. It's a good-sized bundle; something like 5 or 8 wires. You will need a meter to correctly identify the wires, or you will need to remove the lamp assemblies to visually ID the wires.

I have no idea which 3 wire connector on the vehicle side you cut off, but cutting off adapters is not necessary. The adapter kit comes with crimp fittings that allow you to splice into the harness without any cutting at all.

If the trailer has separate turn turn and brake lights, the procedure is about the same, except you don't need the adapter. You still need to splice into the harness at the rear driver's side light, but instead of splicing in the adapter, you run 4 wires - brake, left, right, and running lights.

Make sure you run the ground wire to a solid point on the frame.

--Kamus

Reply to
Kamus of Kadizhar