90 Trooper Gearshift knob removal info-help please

Please don't laugh at me, lol! In an effort to replace the worn out and damaged bellows boot it appears that I first need to remove the shift knob..
I have looked for a set screw (not one I can see). I have tried to turn the know counter-clockwise as see if it might un-thread (no such luck) I realize that I can cut off the old boot with an exacto knife but still the shift knob would have to be removed in order to slide the new boot down the shifter rod to the floor. Yes, please don't laugh!. I went thru the very difficult job of changing a head gasket on this 2.6L gas engine and that was a monster of a task. So why is it that I am having so much trouble to change something so easy as a shift knob? "Go ahead and Laugh" It's okay! Any advice would be gratefully welcomed. Thanks in adavance, Ernie "The more people I meet, the more I love my Golden Retriever"
I'm really hoping that someone would help by responding to my question, Thanks in Advance!!!!
Please don't laugh at me, lol! I know that deserve it but! In an effort to replace the worn out and damaged bellows boot it appears that I first need to remove the shift knob.. I have looked for a set screw (not one I can see). I have tried to turn the know counter-clockwise as see if it might un-thread (no such luck) I realize that I can cut off the old boot with an exacto knife but still the shift knob would have to be removed in order to slide the new boot down the shifter rod to the floor. Yes, please don't laugh!. I went thru the very difficult job of changing a head gasket on this 2.6L gas engine and that was a monster of a task. So why is it that I am having so much trouble to change something so easy as a shift knob? "Go ahead and Laugh" It's okay! Any advice would be gratefully welcomed. Thanks in adavance, Ernie "The more people I meet, the more I love my Golden Retriever"

Dad replaced his, but I didn't see him do it, so not sure how it was done. I'll try to remember and ask him when I see him this evening...
Wesley

and
but
Hey Wes,
Thanks, I really appreciate your reply and should you hear any trick from Dad, please pass it along. I was going to put some brute force on it but now I'll wait instead, lol! maybe Dad will come thru with his magic. : ) Thanks again, Ernie -----------

Unscrew it in a counterclockwise direction. There is no set screw. I just did mine. Where did you get the rubber boot and how much was it?

Thanks much for the tip. I finally grunted loud enough (LOL!) and it broke loose. All is well is shifter land.
Thanks again,
Ernie
--
"Jim Fox" <villest@******gmail.com> wrote in message