90 Trooper V6

Hi,
Looking to buy a V6 Trooper, but the engine has some exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold gasket. I believe the exhuast manifold bolt is broken (head might be rounded off or something), so that each
cylindeer's exhuast is held by one bolt instead of two. This particular Trooper seems very slow, and the engine sounds like a sewing machine. I've only driven two trucks before in my life (other is Nissan Frontier 4 cyclinder), but the V6 Trooper is so much slower than my Nissan Frontier 4 cylinder. Question: (1) how hard is it to repair the exhaust manifold bolts? (2) Do you expect a V6 trooper to be slower than a 4 cylinder Frontier?
I realize the Frontier is a lot lighter--around 2800 pounds, but this V6 Trooper was so slow it had trouble making over this small incline at 55 mph on fifth gear. This Trooper looks great, but I'm just worried about the if there's something wrong with the engine.
In pre-92 Troopers, you are better off buying a 4cyl if you can find one. The 2.6L 4cyl is an Isuzu built, overhead cam, fuel injected engine. The 2.8L (or 3.1L) v-6 is a piece of garbage pushrod engine built by GM. The real shame is that the 2.6L 4cyl and 2.8L 6cyl are both rated at the same horsepower (120bhp) and almost identical torque figures but the 4cyl reaches it's torque peak at a much lower RPM yet will rev higher than the V-6. I don't know the exact figures for the 3.1L but know that it was only moderately more powerful. I had an 89 4cyl manual that was dead reliable and would out accelerate and out haul either GM V-6 To answer your question, I would expect a 90 v-6 Trooper to be slower than your Nissan Frontier. If you do decide to go with it, you shouldn't have any problem finding parts as it is the same engine used in numerous GM products such as Cavaliers, S-10 Blazers and pickups,Cutlass, and even some Jeep Cherokees.
--
Brett W. Rohlfing
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net