91 v6 pickup turn signal problems

Female here, so have patience with me. Just bought the pickup as a second car, and the rt turn signals do not work. I have replaced the bulbs. Yes, I have a
Chiltons. So I decide to check the flasher unit. It says the turn signal flasher unit is under the steering column in a small canister unit. I cant identify it for sure. HELP! Do I need to remove the steering wheel to access it? I removed the panel, but I am unsure exactly what to look for. OR...is it more likely my problem is in the wiring instead of the flasher unit---as the Emergency flashers, and the left turn signals work properly? Thanks for any help.
    I had the same problem a few years back on my 89 Pickup. Replacing the flasher worked for a couple years then the right turn signals stopped working again. To fix it I had to take apart the turn signal switch and use sand paper to clean the contacts. U have to be careful if u try this as there are a few small parts that would be easy to lose. I would definitely try a new flasher from AutoZone first and hope that solves the problem! Good luck!
worked On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:27:09 -0600, "bkmagee"
car, and the rt turn signals do not work. I have replaced the bulbs. Yes, I have a Chiltons. So I decide to check the flasher unit. It says the turn signal flasher unit is under the steering column in a small canister unit. I cant identify it for sure. HELP! Do I need to remove the steering wheel to access it? I removed the panel, but I am unsure exactly what to look for. OR...is it more likely my problem is in the wiring instead of the flasher unit---as the Emergency flashers, and the left turn signals work properly? Thanks for any help.
Hey let me know what's fixed it, since about a week ago i've noticed when I use the rt. turn signal that it freaks out at me, it'll start to make a high pitch grinding/buzzing noise....is this some sorta relay on the fritz or the flasher unit as well? Let me know if you've experienced any symptoms such as these, Thanks for yor time, i'll be sure to post the fix, rest assure.
thanks.
wrote:

second car, and the rt turn signals do not work. I have replaced the bulbs. Yes, I have a Chiltons. So I decide to check the flasher unit. It says the turn signal flasher unit is under the steering column in a small canister unit. I cant identify it for sure. HELP! Do I need to remove the steering wheel to access it? I removed the panel, but I am unsure exactly what to look for. OR...is it more likely my problem is in the wiring instead of the flasher unit---as the Emergency flashers, and the left turn signals work properly? Thanks for any help.

My 91 does the same thing. Right turn signal buzzed for awhile, then went out all together. I just don't make right turns anymore:)
wrote:

bulbs.
the
the
Greetings:
This problem is not uncommon, and probably in the turn signal switch. If your emergency flashers work, the flasher works and probably doesn't need to be replaced. The emergency flasher is on a separate switch from the turn signal, and thus, if you have proved that the emergency flashers work then you will have virtually isolated the problem to the turn signal switch itself.
To repair the turn signal switch, you must pull the steering wheel, remove and disassemble the switch unit, and clean the contacts with a small piece of sandpaper or scraper.
You may alternatively replace the entire switch mechanism. Either option takes about 30 minutes and requires removing the steering wheel, a very simple process.
Regards, Jim Brown

second car, and the rt turn signals do not work. I have replaced the bulbs. Yes, I have a Chiltons. So I decide to check the flasher unit. It says the turn signal flasher unit is under the steering column in a small canister unit. I cant identify it for sure. HELP! Do I need to remove the steering wheel to access it? I removed the panel, but I am unsure exactly what to look for. OR...is it more likely my problem is in the wiring instead of the flasher unit---as the Emergency flashers, and the left turn signals work properly? Thanks for any help.

Thanks so much for your help.