93 trooper in "limp" mode

Troopers been going in limp mode for quite some time. Isuzu dealership never could find a problem. A local mechanic says he thinks the alternator is overcharging, sound right? Thanks .........Jim

Reply to
Jim Cushing

Had the same problem with my 94 Rodeo. I had the transmission power flushed and the problem went away. This is not a simple drain and fill. The vehicle is put on a lift, put in drive and 15 quarts of ATF is pumped through. Gets all the sludge out. There are different types of "Power Flush" services. Most don't have the wheels off the gound and turning. Cost me $130 USD for the service, but the problem stopped.

Jim

Reply to
Bob

Mechanic just replaced alternator. Said it would spike and put trooper in limp mode. Seems to be running fine.

Reply to
Jim Cushing

Would care to elaborate on that one? Today it happened for the second time that the beast just didn't move, no matter how hard you stomped on the gas. Putting her in neutral, and reverse, and back in D fixed it (again). But I'm not sure I wanna trust a vehicle with that kind of erratic behaviour.

1989 TROOPER II, 2.6L L4 MFI/FI 4WD, auto tranny.
Reply to
René

I have had this problem off and on for years. The Isuzu dealership here in town could never find the problem. They couldnt fix a lawn mower!!! When it would happen, I just put in in park, turned off the ignition, cranked it back up and it would be fine for months. I learned to live with it. Recently, it had been going into limp mode all the time. I have read in this group that it could be a number of things, from the battery to solenoids to pressure building up in the tranny when you cut the wheels to hard! I have found a very good mechanic in this area who drove my trooper home for the last two weeks with all sorts of test equipment rigged up to everything. He said one evening when he was driving it home he noticed the headlights flicker, at the same time the volt meter he had on the alternator spiked to 19 volts, and the trooper went in to limp mode.He replaced the alternator and continued to drive the trooper for a couple more days and it stopped going into limp. I hope this fix's the problem.

Reply to
Jim Cushing

Good to know we're talking about the same thing. I can fix computers and guns, but vehicles are a mystery to me. Your hints should help me though. Thanks

Reply to
René

Until you get it fixed just turn the engine off and restart. Complete flush helped but did not cure. A battery change helped a lot. The previous owner replaced the old one with a smaller one because he was on vacation and that was all he could get. After all the reading here (for a couple years) I'd bet on the alternator. Haven't changed my yet though (too cheap). :))

Frank

Reply to
F.H.