95 Isuzu rodeo-octane?

Greetings,
I have a 95 Isuzu Rodeo with 142,000 miles. I was told that I need to use 89 octane. Is that true or can I get away with 87 octane?
Thanks!

RES wrote:

If it pings on 87 then switch to 89. If no ping with 87 then keep using it.

What he said. I had to use 89 in mine (97 Rodeo) but I live in the Mountains, which can effect it. My new Trooper (2002 - different engine of course) is fine with 87.