95 Isuzu rodeo-octane?

Greetings,

I have a 95 Isuzu Rodeo with 142,000 miles. I was told that I need to use 89 octane. Is that true or can I get away with 87 octane?

Thanks!

Reply to
RES

If it pings on 87 then switch to 89. If no ping with 87 then keep using it.

Reply to
Miles

What he said. I had to use 89 in mine (97 Rodeo) but I live in the Mountains, which can effect it. My new Trooper (2002 - different engine of course) is fine with 87.

Reply to
wrestleantares