95 rodeo alarm problem

Hi:
I have a 95 rodeo s/sw 3.2L with an anti-theft system problem. It is acting strange: 4 or 5 low level beeps, then 2 high pitch beeps with the parking lights flashing
on/off then a loud tone then quiet for 20-30 seconds. Then this starts over.
I switched the alarm off inside the vehicle. Remote control has no affect on the operation now. The vehicle turns over and runs fine.
I disconnected the battery, figuring an electronic reset, but when I reconnected I received the same problem.
My first question is how do I disconnect the alarm without having to disconnect the battery?
My second question of what happened to cause this can wait.
thanks, Joe