95 Trooper (Bighorn) gearbox probs?

I have a 1995 5 speed manual and have not had it long.....I was curious to know if anyone has had some exsperiences with gearbox probs ....I may not have a problem but when driving slowly in gear (under 1500rpm) I get a shuddery vibration and you can hear a bit of a chatter coming from the gearbox (I think) it is not so noticable in 1st gear and you dont get it under exceleration..I have checked the universals and are ok but there is a ballancing disc on the rear of the gear box that has broken rubbers ....can anyone shed some light on my problem cheers Shane

Reply to
Coskerie

"Coskerie" wrote in news:bi8itq$38g$ snipped-for-privacy@lust.ihug.co.nz:

Most probably the ballencing disc but I would also have anouther look at the universals Any movment is bad. It could also be the center bearing on the drive shaft.A good trick is to remove the driveshaft and run the engine at these revs If no vibration then it must be the driveshaft Put a post on the forum at

to get some local ideas

Reply to
Alan

Actually, it may be a normal thing.. if you are in too high of a gear for the speed you are going, then it will vibrate and make noises.. this is the engine straining with a high-gear @ low speed. try a lower gear, if this solves the problem, then you have found the answer... however, you still want to check the gasket, make sure the gearbox is oiled properly, and there are no broken teeth (this wouldnt cause the vibration, but when you replace the seal on the gearbox, it's always a good idea to double check the gears)

Chuck Burns

Reply to
zex0s

Assuming you ain't luggin' , this ain't normal my friend. Have the tranny checked. (And I'll even resist the temptation to have it checked before it gets pregnant - what with that broken rubber and all).

Seriously, that is where I'd check first - my old Trooper is as smooth as silk with 100k+ miles on it.

Reply to
Don