96 Rodeo Temperature Gauge Question

Hi,
I am noticing the temperature gauge sporadically going to the very hot range after driving for about 2 miles and then all of a sudden drops into the normal range. Any idea on why this could be happenning ?
This happened twice between a 8 mile stretch while I drive to work.
Thanks.
Coolant level is good? Mine did this a couple of weekes ago and I found low coolant. Was happening at stop lights during stop and go driving,.While moving, temp gauge dropped to normal range. Has not re-occurred since refilling and no leakage noted. Andy

Busman wrote:

found low

driving,.While
Thanks for your response. My Coolant is full. Could this be a possiblity ?Until friday the engine oil level was at low(Min) and then I filled it up over the weekend. Any idea how low engine oil affects the temperature ?
Thanks.

happenning ?

I would sooner think your thermostat is sticking causing the temp to go up, then it pops open and temp drops to normal range. I would change it just as a precaution. Charles

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sticky thermostat.
Bob M wrote:

very
happenning ?

It turns out to be Radiator leakage as detected by Napa Auto center. They gave me a quote for 700 bucks to replace radiator and a hose and charged 90 bucks to detect this problem. Said no thanks as I foound they were quoting invariably too high.