96 trooper front differential question

I have developed a clunk in the front differential. Seems to be from slack in the front shaft. Real question: is the front drive shaft supposed to rotate when a front tire is rotated (in 2wd). I thought the front wheels should be free wheeling when in 2wd (from the shaft and front differential). Maybe the front shaft has always turned with the wheels in

2wd (shaft free wheeling at the transfer) and I just never noticed. Are the front wheels ONLY disenguaged by the transfer case? Just seemed unusual to see the front drive shaft turning when I had a wheel off the ground and rotated it???
Reply to
arlon