'97 Trooper blowing taillight fuse

My '97 Trooper S has been blowing tailight fuses ever since I replaced the blown left 1157 bulb with a new one. In fact, I even replaced new GE 1157KR
(longlife) blub with a new regular 1157 bulb which caused fuse to blow sooner.
Took truck to dealer, and they replaced the tailight relay ($39 for relay), but the problem continues.
Have used electronic contact cleaner on all connectors to tailight, and carefully inspected the wiring, but am not getting anywhere.
Got suggestions?
Thxs! -=G

There's no trailer connector. I did notice, however, that the license plate light is mounted on a rusted bracket.
-=G