'97 Trooper: HELP!

Have this '97 Trooper S with weird problem as the gauges (speedo, tach, fuel, etc) are no longer illuminated as if bulb or fuse blew. Also, when I use the remote to lock/unlock the Trooper, the
lights no longer flash. Both issues started at the same, exact time.
I replaced the fuse, but didn't help, and did verify that the gauges dimmer wasn't off.
There's a correlation between the two malfunctions, and am stumped.
-=G