98 Rodeo Question.. Adjusting Lifters

Hello...

I have a 98 Rodeo, V6, 4x4. I have let a couple people listen to my engine and both of them said that the engine noise is from my lifters. I asked my dad about the difficulty of adjusting them myself and he stated that it depends of whether they are hydrolic or mechanical but doable. so.. I went to my auto parts store to purchase some MORE oil for it and found out it was mechanical lifters. So, after finding out that they don't carry a repair manual for 98 rodeo could someone tell me the about adjusting my lifters? tightening order? torque presure?

TIA

Ethan

Reply to
supergoat

While it could be your lifters making the noise it doesn't mean they need adjusting. The V6 is well known to make this ticking noise often when new. There is a TSB out for it but not really a fix. I believe the TSB has you change to 5W-30 Mobile 1 for a 1000 miles or so. Something about a small oil gally that gets clogged up. Others have stated the ticking noise is the injectors.

I haven't adjusted the lifters on this particular engine. Normally it is not a matter of torque or particular order for mechanical lifters. It is setting a correct clearance gap using a feeler guage.

Reply to
miles

snip could someone tell me the

This engine's valve clearances are adjusted with shims.Valves are operated by the camshaft via the timing belt gear. There are no lifters. Clearance measurements are taken between the cam and the tappet when the nose of the cam is opposite to maximum cam lift (pointy part of cam opposite of tappet, round part of cam in contact with tappet).

6VD1 3.2L engine Valve clearance standard value for a cold engine: Intake: 0.23 mm - 0.33 mm (0.0091 in - 0.0130 in) Exhaust: 0.25 mm - 0.35 mm (0.0098 in - 0.0138 in) Shim to be selected= (thickness of removed shim) + (valve clearance measurement) - (standard value) You will need a selection of shim stock in 0.02 mm increments (0.008 in) ranging from 2.4 mm -3.2 mm (0.0945 in - 0.1260 in)

But, like Miles said, it's more likely that the noise is coming from the injectors. Make sure your oil level is correct. Valve noise occurs if you let your oil level drop, and that's easy to do with this engine. Many V6 owners have to add oil between oil changes. It's a "feature".

Reply to
reader

'96 Rodeo owner here, and I can attest to the fact that it gets noisy when the oil level drops. ;) I can't figure where it's leaking the oil though. It appears to be around the valve covers, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, it's been like that for quite a while now(170,000 on the odo, probably

60,000 or less when it started), and I just try to make sure the oil doesn't get too low.

I'm intrigued about this injector noise though... this is the first I've read about this. Can you explain more?

Reply to
43fan

It may or may not be a leak. The 3.2 burns some oil, although you typically don't see the smoke from the tailpipe. To look for the leak - spray the suspected area with Simple Green cleaner and brush it with a brush (a cheap

2" paint brush works well for this) then rinse. Repeat if necessary. Use low water pressure-you don't want to inject water where it doesn't belong. Now you have a clean engine and if you see new oil after a while, you've found the leak.

They're just that way - noisy. Well, they sound like clockwork really. Nothing wrong with that because it's a truck, not a limousine. If it's running well, consider it music.

Cheers

Reply to
reader