98 Trooper, check engine light on.

Guys:

My check engine light is on. I have about 80k miles on it. Any ideas. How can I fiugre out what is wrong without going to a dealer?

thanks. john

Reply to
John Alam

Mine has 84,000. The same thing happened to mine. Two things you can do:

1) Unhook your car battery for half an hour and see if that fixes it. 2) Change your oil.

Strangely enough changing my oil fixed the problem.

Reply to
96 Trooper Limited

Get your hands on an OBDII reader and see what the code is that set the light. Try a local auto parts store, they may read it for you for nothing.

Keith

Reply to
goolsbee

I took my Trooper to a dealer who plugged in and read the code for free.

Reply to
Rob Dwyer

The most common problem on older model Isuzus is a leak in the pressurized fuel system - environmental system. Check to assure the fuel cap is on tight; look for leaks in the fuel cap and buy a new one ($10) if necessary.

Reply to
Mike S.

The "check engine" light on my '97 Trooper came on at 86K miles. It was the oxygen sensor.

-=G

Reply to
Grumbler