98 Trooper, Packing the front bearings

Guys:

I hear a loud humming noise coming from the front of the car, I am thinking it is the bearings. The sound is loudest when the car is leaning to the left, like when you take an interstate exit that loops to the right.

How hard is it to repack thsese bearings? and where can I find detailed instructions for a 98 trooper?

Thanks. John

Reply to
John Alam

John, Its a fairly simple job. Probably the hardest thing I found was undoing the brake calliper bolts, but once this is done its fairly straight forward. You will need new seals and good quality wheel bearing grease. Be careful undoing the three Phillips head countersunk screws, they are usually tight and prone to head damage. I always have spares on hand in case of problems. Also be careful tightening the eight hex headed bolts - they are prone to breaking if overtighted. Be careful with the gasket - here in Aust they are not available as a spare part. Watch the orientation of the large round spring on the hub mechanism. For some more information see the information in the Tech Talk pages at

as the details there also apply to later models.

Good luck, Wal Webmaster, Jackaroo 4WD Club of Australia.

Reply to
Walter Phelps

John, just did it on Christmas eve. Much easier than expected. There are no detailed instructions, the only manual is the Chilton US one which is crap

NOTE; clean everything, ensure all parts go back the way they came off

Remove Wheel Remove brake calliper and tie up to prevent brake hose damage Remove bolts on locking hub, and pull off outer casing Remove circlip and pull away locking assembly (noting position) Remove 3 tiny countersunk screws from locking washer Unscrew locking washer screw (with care you can put a couple of bolts in the holes to get some leverage, should come off easily) The entire disk rotor bearings and all should now slide off VERY carefully tap out the old bearings Grind old bearings outer edges and use as drift to GENTLY tap in new bearing race Pack all with LM grease Reassemble, noting below.

NOTE lock nut should be tightened gently and slightly backed off. There MUST be a small amount of play in the bearings to allow for heat related expansion. Without this the bearings will self destruct in no time at all. Keep doing this until it is right and insert the 3 countersunk lock screws.

There are endplay shims under the circlip that may need changing. You should be able to get the circlip on and feel no end play when push / pulling the drive shaft. If there is play or you can't get the circlip on change the shims for the correct size

Latex gloves are a good idea you will get covered in grease

Take your time, after you have you'll want to do it all the time!

Good Luck

Reply to
Dave Wood

John,

had an Isuzu for 500k km, no problem to repack the front bearings - but do it regularly and the taper roller bearings will last for ever.

Peter

Reply to
Diesel Fan