98 trooper transmission went out at 95k miles

I am a little angry with my trooper now. I am having to spend $2500.00 USD to overhaul the transmission. Something about the converter going out. It only has 95k miles, it should go out. Anyone has any knowledge of transmissions on troopers.

I also angry about the engine oil loss. I was always told that this normal on the trooper, even by the dealer. Now I hear that Isuzu is replacing engines on 2000 troopers and they are calling it a problem.

Who built the engine and transmissions in 98 troopers? is it Isuzu or GM?

Do I have a GM car and not know it?

I have enjoyed it for 6 years now and I want to drive it some more. Should I expect more problems?

Thanks. john

Reply to
John Alam

How often have you changed the transmission fluid??? Ours had 98,000 miles and was strong as can be....I had the changed the fluid every

30,000 miles. Of course, it isn't any longer because I totalled it 2 months ago.....you could have had that tranny for free (plus shipping).

If memory serves, there is a fair of amount of GM in the engine/tranny.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

I had the fluid changed only one month ago for the first time. The guys said that it was pretty dirty.

Thanks for your advice. I would have love to have had your tranny.

John

Curtis Newt> >

Reply to
John Alam

It went out because when you finally changed it, it dislodged crap in it.

95k miles isn't much on a properly maintained trans but it's about the end of the road for one like yours. Neglected Toyotas seem to run ok for a bit longer, but all mechanical things break eventually.

Hopefully you'll take that $2500 trans replacement as a reminder of why you should change fluids.

Reply to
Max

I'm in similar situation, bought Trooper with 100K miles on it, drove a little bit more and changed the fluid now. Shop said it looked pretty dirty, I have no idea whether the original owner had ATF changed or not. Is there anything I can/should do to prevent failure?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

If the tranny lasted 95K without changing the fluid consider yourself lucky. It should have failed much sooner. I change the fluid in my vehicles every 20K-30K regardless of what the owners manual suggests (which is usually much longer).

Reply to
Miles

Just out of curiosity, what is the non-severe service recommended change interval for a '98 Trooper? That is, recommended in the owner's manual.

Reply to
Max Tindell

I have a 98 Trooper and the transmission went bad even under 60K miles. Luckily, it's still under the powertrain warranty (by few hundred miles) so I received a new transmission for free. I was very surprised that the transmission went this quickly and wondered about their quality.

The transmission is built by GM and the same one used in Rodeo. The quality of this SUV may explain why they stopped making it.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Wu

I can relate to that. 110K miles and not a single major problem (minor annoyances only like flukey Check Engine light etc). Brake pads & rotors (original!) are still like new, and mechanic couldn't find a thing wrong with it. This truck may last longer than myself :)

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I don't know, up until I totaled ours, it had 98,000 miles on it......never had a problem with it. Except for routine maintenance, the rig was trouble-free.

I didn't agree with Isuzu's "there is no reason to replace the transmission fluid" and I had it replaced every 30,000 miles. The transmission seemed as strong as ever right up until I hit the icy road and totaled it.

As usual, YMMV.

-