99 Amigo V6 gas Mileage?

1st tank of gas was a disappointing 17mpg. Any ideas how to improve this? Tire pressure is good, engine seems to run very well. Has 70K on it. Will be looking at valve adjustment and tune up pretty quickly. Andy .
Reply to
Busman

My 99 Amigo V6 got 16 around town and 18-21 highway depending on how fast I drove. The V6 is a performer and not an economy engine.

Reply to
miles

Reply to
Busman

I would be very suprised if your friends 98 gets 20 around town and 24 on highway unless he drives rather light footed. I could get over 20 highway at 65mph with no A/C. But who drives 65 on the highway?

Reply to
miles

It's his wife's car and she drives like my Grandmother. 65? Not me! Andy

Reply to
Busman

'96 Rodeo here with the 3.2. Over 160K on it, and still gets 19-20 around town, maybe as good as 23-24 on the highway, haven't really taken many highway trips with it lately to check. From new, basically about 21 around town and as high as 26-27 on a trip to FL from MD one time, with four people, luggage and running the air almost constantly. I have to say that that engine has impressed me as far as economy and power more than any other ever has.

Reply to
43fan

That's about what I expected. I hope that once I get over the urge to use the gas pedal, it'll do better. I am really amazed at how much power there is especially when I think about my old 93 Amigo with the 4 cylinder. I still like the old body style better (so much larger inside and out) but this is a better vehicle all around. Hope that I can post here when it has as many miles as yours does! Andy

Reply to
Busman

My understanding is that the newer 2nd gen Amigos are longer, wider and taller than the original.

Reply to
miles

The exterior dimesions may be larger but the interior of the old one was definitely roomier. Maybe it just "felt" bigger? The space behind the rear seat is smaller on this one too. I had an aftermarket (Guidon) hard top on the old one and no roll bar so that is different as well. Don't get me wrong, I like the new one but it is an entirely different animal.

Anyone know of parts sources that are fairly reasonable?

Andy

Reply to
Busman