ac on 99 rodeo

the ac on my 99 rodeo is out this summer. i don't think it's the compressor.

in the fuse/relay box under the hood, i unplugged the ac relay and plugged it back in and the compressor came on. but it only lasted while i was testing it. the next day the compressor wouldn't come on again. i charged the system, so i know it's not low on coolant.

i've heard it may be the low pressure switch? is this something that can be replaced?

any ideas?

thanks.

tom j.

Reply to
jentinkth

I just tried it today while out driving and it's working again. Haven't done anything to it, either....????

tom j.

Reply to
jentink

You can test the pressure switch by jumping the wire contacts. It's on top of the evaporator.

How do you know the leak isn't so bad that the refrigerant wouldn't leak out overnight? Follow the a/c lines and look for greasy areas near fittings.

Reply to
reader

Is your fan running properly when the AC is going? I had a problem with my Dodge Caravan - I think it ended up being a relay or 2 bad, but the fan wouldn't kick on. The AC would run for a short time and then kick out unless I was at highway speed. I realized the fan wasn't turning on when I turned on the AC like it should. Unless it was running at speed, there wasn't enough air to keep things cool and it would shut down. Not sure if it could be anything similar as the Caravan uses electric fans, and unless the Rodeo is different from the Troopers we have, the fan is belt-driven from the engine...

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

yes, the fan seems to be fine. i'm thinking now it's a loose connection somewhere?

i try turning it on while driving, and sometimes it comes on, and sometimes it won't.

doesn't seem to be any leaks. when it does come on, it's as cold as it should be.

tom

Reply to
jentink