Air con pump US?

Yesterday morning the air con pump on my 92 trooper 3.1tdi seized whilst the air con was on. It made a really loud screeching noise & the power steering stopped working due to the
belt jamming. The A/C has been weak for a little while. Is it likely that if I re-gas it the pump will be ok (I turned off the a/c & it was fine) or is it wrecked??
I think the bearings may have seized up, or something similar.
Any ideas before I get a new (ish) one for 70? The bloody things on sale now too!!