Air Conditioning Repair

I have a 91 Trooper, 2.8 L, R12 refrigerant. My compressor locked up recently and I've been calling around for quotes. I'm getting from 600.00 to 1300.00. Most say they would have to replace the compressor, the clutch, the
evaporator and flush the system as well as recharge it. Can anyone help me out here with about how much this job should cost? I understand about refurbished and new. According to the shops, not much price difference. According to the parts houses about 100.00 difference. Thanks in advance.