auto-trans dip stick?

Page 3 of 5  
Huw wrote:


The 2002 Toyota Hi-lux with V6 has a payload rating of 1034kg. That is not the maximum you can put into the bed of the truck. That is the maximum payload period meaning people, gas, luggage and whats in the bed. The tow rating on this as listed by Toyota is 1800kg. Pretty much the same as in the USA.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

search'
B2500
varying
is
much
So you concede that they can carry a ton plus a 34kg driver [in practice they carry a ton or more with hefty driver and passenger]. Thank you. You will note that this is a whole lot more than your Powerstroke Ford 1/2 or 3/4 tonner LOL. The tow rating range is as I stated.
Huw
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Zex0s wrote:

The engine isn't really the problem. More HP will help with the tow capacity but not much for the payload. Better springs and heavier axles will boost it some but the main problem is the frame which nobody is gonna replace. The mini trucks are also too light for handling heavy loads.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

trucks
carry
ease?
I
what... THEY

More hp will alter tow capacity? Not so. My Land Rover has only 67hp and is rated to tow a maximum legal limit of 4 tons but as far as the vehicle itself is concerned, it is rated for 6 tons. My 200hp Land Cruiser has a similar rating..
Better springs and heavier axles

heavy loads.

The more weight they carry, the heavier they are! Frame distortion is not a problem on any Asian built pick up AFAIK. My company has one Hilux which has carried and towed ridiculous [over]loads over some 15 years is still in good condition after 200+ thousand miles, one diesel engine and original transmission [which is admittedly unusual for this vehicle model]. Frame distortion is not a problem but rust is, though this particular one has plenty of oil dripping from the cargo hold onto the frame. My Land Rover High Capacity pick up is similarly good after 20 years of heavier towing though 3/4 of a ton is enough of a payload in the deck of this one or the handling is very shitty. This is due to its softish coil springs combined with an optional ride levelling device which tends to act as a fulcrum around which the body rolls.
Huw
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Huw wrote:

More HP in itself won't increase tow capacity unless other factors such as suspension, tow vehicle weight etc are also taken into consideration. Torque is a bigger player in towing. A gas engine will usually have a higher HP rating than a similar sized diesel. However, the diesel will have far more torque and thus a higher tow rating with everything else being equal.

You do not tow as heavy of loads as is common in the USA as far as for personal/recreation use. Full size trucks are not as common in the UK. I would assume alot of that has to do with the fact your gas prices are about 300% higher than ours.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

67hp
the
such
consideration.
have a

will
else
Funny then that my 67 hp diesel has the same tow capacity as my 200hp diesel Toyota and substantially higher capacity than my 185hp diesel BMW.

is
for
UK.
prices
The size of load behind larger vehicles is not relevant. What is relevant and interesting is that we tow larger loads with smaller vehicles in the Trooper, pajero, Discovery class. I do not believe the fuel cost is an overriding factor because plenty of Range Rover type vehicles are sold with petrol engines. Diesel is the fuel of choice though for this size class as it is increasingly for even small vehicles due to the advantages of modern design.
Huw
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Huw wrote:

Again, its not just the engine. I stated all other things being equal a diesel will tow better because of its higher torque. HP is less important. The rating given by an auto manufacture is based on a combination of engine, vehicle weight, suspension etc. Your beamer is not designed to be a heavy duty tow vehicle irregardless of what engine is in it. So I'm not sure what point you're attempting to make.

Diesel is the preferred choice for towing here in the USA as well. However, federal laws here seem to prevent the wide spread use of diesels. The exception to that is in full size trucks where the diesel engine is common in the 3/4 and 1 tons. Full size trucks probably don't sell well for towing in the UK. This is because of your laws keeping tow capacities under the weight of the tow vehicle. This makes sense because the truck can't be outfitted with a proper hitch system and braking system in the UK. With drawbar braking, no anti-sway and no weight distribution I would not want to tow heavy loads as well. It would be very unsafe. Can you tow above the tow vehicles weight if using a 5th wheel hitch or goosneck on a truck?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

200hp
diesel
equal a

is not

is in

Then let us make it easier for you. A Land Rover may have 67hp 111hp 135hp diesels or a number of petrol engines and apart from a short production run of small petrol engines all are rated to tow 3.5 tons legally. Which tows "better", this is not relevant to the point YOU made. Often the diesel is much lower maximum torque than the petrol, as is indeed the case with my diesel LR.
It is you who is making a point here and I refute it. Clear?

the
type
choice
diesel
don't
1 ton pick up trucks are by far the highest selling type sold here, although as I have adequately demonstrated, they are physically smaller than your 3/4 ton trucks by quite a margin.
This is because of your laws keeping tow

This is certainly another of your fantasies.
This makes sense because

system
You have suddenly changed your tune LOL. Until this post you have insisted that the use of "load distribution" hitches and electric brakes is widespread here. So now you admit your ignorance. Thank you.

Anti sway devices are widely used on light trailers up to 3.5 tons but are most common on lighter leisure caravans. Where do you dig up your misinformation from?
and no weight distribution

unsafe.
or
Your arrogance and ignorance continues to amaze all, I am sure, in the face of facts already pointed out to you in this thread. We can tow above the vehicle weight with most vehicles whether 5th wheel or not. My Trooper weighs just under two tons yet can tow 3 tons [older models] or 3.5 tons with newer units. What is it about this that you cannot comprehend? Have you some kind of learning difficulty? I ask not from a mischievous perspective but from a point where many simple facts seem not to register with you and where sweeping and inaccurate statements are made by you with no basis whatsoever in fact, such as your assertion about widespread UK use of a certain hitch type and the apparent non existence of 1 ton pick-up trucks made by the millions by multinational companies and sold Worldwide. Your assertion as to what is safe and unsafe based on zero knowledge or experience of local conditions and equipment, as demonstrated in this forum, is also indicative of some problem, however slight.
Huw
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Huw wrote:

Uh...No but whatever.

LOL...It was you who stated in all of Europe. When you changed your statement to the UK I failed to take notice. UK is not all of Europe or even close. I have friends in Italy that use more modern towing methods.

From you who stated anti-sway devices were not commonly used. Besides this makes little sense. The lighter the load the less need for anti-sway.

That is complete BS. The methods you have stated you use for towing have been used here for decades. I myself used drawbar braking systems and no weight distribution hitch. This was common practice decades ago. I now tow with more modern equipment and the difference is like night and day. I simply stated that the methods used as YOU described them are old, outdated and unsafe. If what you described is not represetative of actual usage then things maybe different.
Your own statement that there is no way possible to shift the load forward without moving the hitch point well demonstrates you lack of understanding of towing in general.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

you.
When you changed your

Europe or

methods.
Did I? In fact all Europe has approximately the same or very similar law and tow hitches are metric and European Type Approved, not UK Type Approved.

but
your
Besides
Again you miss a main point which is that I stated more than once that they [anti sway devices] are mainly used with light but high volume trailers like caravans. You plainly stated that they were not used here. I did not day this, nor imply it so on what basis did you assert this? The same place where you picked up the phantom UK widespread use of load transfer hitches and electric brakes?

knowledge
in
have
and no

now
day.
actual
forward
understanding
My previous post says everything I wish to say on this. A bit of advice......... When in a hole, stop digging.
Huw
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Huw wrote:

LOL..speaking of digging. First you asked 'what is a weight distribution hitch'. Then when it was explained you stated the laws of physics won't allow it to work. Later you claimed to know all about them. Good grief. I'll continue to tow my vehicle using a hitch that works by breaking the laws of physics and you use the decades old obsolete method.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

distribution
won't
grief.
the
Did I ask what it was? Then due to your obvious ignorance, it was to establish if you could distinguish a fifth wheel hitch from the quite eccentric US wt distribution hitch which is frankly of little use in redistributing nose weight effectively in anything other than level road surfaces or more specifically for the well balanced vehicle trailer combinations built here. Where does it move the weight to except back to the trailer through a very high stress point at the vehicle and trailer end? In fact it actually uses tension bars fixed to the vehicle drawbar and tensioned up towards the trailer chassis to compensate for poor trailer load distribution and design at the expense of quite a lot of stress and the absolute necessity of over complex brake systems.
All it does in effect is to use the springs, which are not torsion springs by the way, to winch the drawbar to a level position. If it does what you say and would be of value to UK or European trailers and combinations in the group of vehicles of Trooper size and up to four tons towed, then post a link to a site which explains the mode of operation, geometry and arithmetic where the standard drawbar has a nose weight of between 50 and 150kgs here without it, not just a picture with sales pitch.
The fact is that there is no need to lighten nose weights if the trailer and load is already within the design limits of both trailer and towing vehicle as is the case here. I am still waiting for evidence of its widespread use here as you claimed. There is none of course because it is not used to any extent if at all. [I never say 'never' because there will always be the exception] It was one of your fantasies. As is your assertion that towing must be dreadfully unsafe here. It is not of course and I only see a crashed trailer combo every few years on my travels, yet you claim "I pass the mangled remains of their flipped over vehicles at the bottom of long grades all the time." Funny that. We do not suffer from the same problem here despite your aspersions and claims.
It is not a product to improve towing per se, it is a means of compensating for piss poor trailer design and load distribution at the expense of increased complexity,stress and expense. If your trailers were properly designed in the first place to place an appropriate load on the hitch then there would be no purpose to such an abortion of a device.
Huw
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Huw wrote:

OMG, excuse me while I take a break to laugh hysterically. You didn't ask that question to me so your back peddling is useless! Oh man, now that last paragraph of yours was just classic.

MUHAHAHA....Your complete ignorance for comprehending towing technology is amazing. First you say it breaks the laws of physics and now in a great back peddaling attempt you try to use your lack of knowledge on the subject to say its to compensate for a lack of vehicle design or poor trailer loading. I wanna see you tow a 15,000lb 33' trailer by using a simple tounge on hitchball setup at anything faster than 40mph. Even that fast is pushing it with that type of setup. I know, people do it all the time easily. I see them splatted on hills.
Your last statement cracks me up once again. The brake systems used here are not complex. They were designed to improve safety no matter what the loading after decades of becoming aware of the shortfalls of surge type brakes (Especially when the tow vehicle brakes fail). Actually I think the modern brake controllers are cheaper than the drawbar/surge type brake system. You also do not have to turn it off when backing up like on surge brakes although I am not sure if they did eventually come up with a method around that issue.

Ahhh....you want me to educate you on something you do not understand but refute none the less. You already stated they break the laws of physics. Are you ready to admit that was a wrong statement? Not many 8000lb trailers have only 300lb tounge weight here. Ideally the weight would be higher. But that takes a heavier bigger tow vehicle. We have more of those here than in the UK. I know, go ahead and refute the ideal tounge weights. 300lbs for an 8000lb trailer is way too low unless towing at very slow speeds.

Now that we agree on. I do not have a weight distribution hitch with my 2500lb trailer. I do on my 7,000lb trailer. I tow that trailer with a vehicle capable of towing 15,000lbs. But then you start talking about 8000lbs on a trooper and 300lb tounge weights. That is not ideal loading.
> As is your assertion that

Dreadfully? Didn't say that. We used surge brakes and no weight distribution 20-50 years ago. At the time is seemed acceptable and safe. However, technology in the past several decades has improved on that greatly. I've used both and now would never go back. Its alot more fun to tow. Back then I didn't know the difference. Kind of the situation you're in now.

ROFL...there ya go again. It IS designed to improve towing on ANY vehicle/trailer combination. Not to act as a bandaide patch as you seem to claim. Mock what you do not have ample experience and knowledge of. I have owned and used your systems for many many years. You need to see the difference before making such claims. Reducing tounge weight in a trailer is as easy as moving the axle forward. Yet, trailer manufactures do not do that. There is a reason. We have larger vehicles capable of handling the more ideal heavier tounge loads.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

to
quite
in
level
didn't
now
Forgive me for not laughing with you. Please explain what advantage such a hitch has for a well balanced outfit with a proper noseweight as recomended by the vehicle manufacturer. The whole point of it is to lessen nose weight, or am I missing something fundemental?

through a

it
tensioned
and
technology
a
on
40mph.
people
But you have repeatedly stated that such loads are not towed by SUV's in the Trooper class. Over here anything over 3.5 to 4 tons is subject to Heavy Goods Regulations and need to be towed by a heavy goods vehicle with acceptable running gear including air brakes and annual government inspection. Again I state categorically that load transfer hitches are not used here. You can wriggle and squirm all you like but you have yet to provide *any* evidence as to its use here, let alone its neccessity or *widespread* use.

matter
of
Do you have tow vehicle brake failures? Are they not either multi circuit of fail-safe?

off
did
Oh Lord Above!!!

torsion
it
and
four
a
understand
many
weight
have
So explain why a heavier nose weight would be ideal yet you employ a system specifically to reduce this.

trailer
with my

with a

about
loading.
With a 7000lb low slung load behind, my Trooper tows with no problem whatsoever, regularly,legally safely and quite quickly.

on
the
Hardly. You do not even know of auto-reverse brakes which have been universal since the 1980's here and almost standard since the late Seventies. You keep intimating that we are kind of bakwards yet you constantly demonstrate that you do not have a clue.

seem
of.
But you have more than adequately demonstrated in this very post, yet again, that you are absolutely and totally ignorant of the system of towing here.
You need to

weight in

But we are not talking of those vehicles, certainly not when you comment on the situation here. Those bigger loads here have far more stringent regulations, being subject to Heavy Goods regulations, than loads up to 4 tons and even up to 3.5 tons a special tow driving test is required above a certain train weight which is I think 3.5 tons maximum allowable mass. Your regulations appear to be far more relaxed. No wonder you have all your claimed accidents.
Huw
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
What has all this squabbling have to do with Auto-trans dip stick ??
Or am I missing the point ??

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

You are missing the point. It is called thread drift. One of the drifters is a clueless Troll and the other is daft enough to answer him LOL. If you are not interested then be a good boy and either select your reading material or go and watch the Simpson's.
Huw
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

original post

without
if you

You can say what you like as can I. Now go back to sleep, it's way after your bed time.
Huw
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
You just can't help showing yourself to be the prat that you are. Why can't you just try and be civil or doesn't your IQ allow it.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Sure did kid. You want more?
Huw
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I don't think you would be able to give any more that could entertain me sufficiently to keep replying to.
I wouldn't want to mentally drain you.
Not sure either where the 'kid' thing comes from either. Writing inaccurate facts and dribble in your replies appears to be your forte - keep it up for us all to enjoy.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.