auto-trans dip stick?

It is, but people do not tow that much with them. They use them for driving in snow, towing lightweight trailers or boats etc.

We have more lawyers here and laws that allow for massive awards from auto makers. That causes them to lower the ratings and gives more incentive to require WD hitches for heavier loads.

LOL..Not so. It is better to buy a vehicle more capable. The result is greater comfort, easier handling and far safer.

Higher tow ratings are great marketing points for auto makers. They would push them higher here too if the lawyers could not sue. All too often I have seen the results of people who tow 3.5 tons with a trooper. Not a pretty sight. What often happens is they are traveling down a very steep grade and someone cuts them off. The Troopers capabilities at emergency handling with such a high tow load is not good and an accident results. Sure the accident was the other persons fault but I'd rather have a vehicle that can manuver easier out of such a situation.

Air brakes are pretty rare here on consumer vehicles and trailers. They are the very common on commercial trucks as well as very large 5th wheel consumer haulers. Consumers do have such rigs but not that many on the road as they are very expensive. Electric brakes are the standard for trailers up to around 16,000lbs possibly a bit higher. That size trailer would have at least 3 axles.

That is a matter of opinion. Try towing the same load with a full sized truck and see the difference it makes. Far easier to handle. Hardly notice the trailer is even there.

No. The UK's version is stiffer as are most SUV's in the UK.

Exactly. It reduces the amount of weight on the back of the vehicle at the hitchball. It does not change anything as far as loading of the trailer is concerned. The trailers axle weight will remain the same at around 90%. This is totally different than building a trailer with the axle mounted forward to reduce tounge weight. What it is more similar to is moving the hitchpoint forward although not nearly as effective as is the case with a 5th wheel. The more weight you apply to the back of a vehicle the worse it will handle because it lightens the front wheels, the ones you need to steer. As a trailers axle weight begins to exceed

90% the tendency to sway is increased.

Now, the reason you do not use WD hitches is because there are few that can work with surge brakes (there are some but not common). From what I can see you have a law that prevents in cab control over trailer brakes which is why you use surge brakes. Therefore it is difficult to achieve the optimum towing conditions of 10%-15% tounge weight. A compromise is needed but it is not optimum. A WD hitch as used here is not a band-aid. It is to achieve optimum towability. It is not needed, it is desired.

I once thought that too back in the 80's when I towed with your type of setup. Then I used more modern technology and realized the difference.

No...they build the trailers for optimum tounge weight with the use of WD hitches in mind. Your use of surge brakes and inability to use in cab controllers prevents that. See above.

LOL...The trailer manufactures here do not produce hitches so there goes your monetary theory. The axle can be placed most anywhere at the same cost. As far as cheapness goes most of our trailers are much heavier than yours. Heavier frames, heavier boxes, interior cabinets etc. Thats because we have larger tow vehicles available. There are many ultra light trailers here though but they also are designed with the optimum tow loading in mind.

You mentioned earlier trailers up to 4 tons and tounge weights up to

150kg. Now its 2 tons and 180kgs? That sounds more reasonable and a Trooper can handle that.

Mini trucks like you have do indeed have rather low ratings. They are lightweight trucks not suited well to heavy loads. Most mini trucks here are rated to about 4,000lbs. Full sized trucks are another story. Their tow ratings are FAR above that of even the largest SUV's such as Chevy Suburban, Ford Excursion etc. Full sized trucks are rated up to

16,000lbs for the commonly available models. Higher ratings can be obtained but those models aren't the normal consumer models.

The laws make it too expensive? The vehicles and trailers of that size are expensive here but not out of reach. The majority of people towing

15,000lb fifth wheels using full sized trucks are elderly retired people who use them to tour the country for months at a time.

Huh? Tow ratings in the UK are absolute irregardless of loading of the tow vehicle itself? Things like GVWR are meaningless in the UK? I find that hard to believe as it makes no sense whatsoever. Normally tow ratings are the GVWR minus the curb weight of the vehicle but the GVWR must be adhered to making the drivers weight, luggage, fuel etc. all relevant in determining the actual maximum towable weight.

Reply to
Miles

result is

But it must logically be so. Our regulations allow the tow vehicle to tow up to its potential up to a maximum limit of 4 tons. The reason we do not have a 'full size' class is more than partly down to the more stringent and restrictive, not to say expensive regulations that come into force above this weight where almost all such loads are pulled by

7.5 ton commercial goods vehicles.

I do not think so for here because although the law states that vehicles can tow up to 3.5 tons without modification, most towing vehicles are rated way below this. It is only with the newer Trooper that it came up to 3.5 tons. Land Cruiser 90/prado is still at 3.0 tons I believe. Only a handful are rated to as high as the law allows here. There are no insurance penalties for these vehicles and I insure trailers and their loads for all of my vehicles for commercial and recreational use with very little extra premium.

All too

trooper.

There was me thinking you had said it was not done where you are. Hereabouts it is very common, especially livestock trailers [livestock move sideways and front to back] on market days to have most trailers loaded to the maximum and no one blinks an eye. An accident with such a load would make the newspapers. It is a rare event indeed.

What often happens is they are traveling down a

Cuts them off?! These are not sports cars my friend and it is difficult to cut a Trooper going down a grade in second gear off in any way that is dangerous.

The Troopers capabilities

situation.

So they are here. Very few indeed because the extra half ton allowed on only three vehicle models [that I know of] make it uneconomic.

They

Hardly

But we have neither the need nor consequently the wish to.

similar

Not the Japanese or European SUV's that you import squire. I can assure you that they have the same springs. I have a Trooper and Land Cruiser official shop manuals. As far as the LC goes there is a higher ride height for Australia and a choice of standard or sky-hook suspension and that is basically it, apart from a variation for Saudi which I am not too clear about. As it happens I have two sets of springs having imported a nearly new set of standard LHD [and stiffer than skyhook] springs for the LC from Russia via Holland.

reaction

That is what I said. It is to reduce an overload situation.

It does not change anything as far as loading of the

similar

Nowhere near, I assume you are correct

The more weight you apply to the back of

So why put the damned weight where it should not be in the first place. Most of the rest of the world do not do so.

Now I agree that it is related but I would say that the reason we can stay with efficient over-run brakes is because we do not use the Heath Robinson hitch in the first place.

From what I

Thank you. It makes a change from your earlier stance where you insited I knew nothing about towing because the use was widespread here. You now acknowledge that it is not.

Therefore it is difficult to achieve

But I have already demonstrated that it is almost precisely achieaved by the majority of recreational caravans and smaller trailers used here without any complex or extra components. Larger trailers up to the practical limit [as i have explained on several occassions] may have higher nose weights but are towed by larger SUV's like the Trooper which can manage sensible higher loads.

A compromise is

trailers

difference.

"thought"? I drive the damned things on a weekly basis and I don't think twice about it. Last week I towed a 2.8 ton Case skid steer loader back over the mountains of Plynlimon which is just routine. The only concession one has to make is to the type of load. Here the paricular load had a fairly high centre of gravity, partly due to the trailer having the bed over the top of the wheels. Attachments added more weight. The mountain road presented no problem because our local roads are far more challenging, running up the coast and crossing valleys generally at right angle.

But as you may have found out, their use is against the law. Now I cannot confirm this because I have not done the research but somewhere in the back of my mind I remember that this might be the case. I did not mention it because I could not confirm it. I had it in mind to find out though if you continued on your insistence that the use was widespread here when I knew damn well that it was at least very extremely rare. Air or vacuum brakes linked to the foot pedal are allowed though.

No but the motor trade in general and retail do;-)

The axle can be placed most anywhere at the same

heavier

about

Didn't I say "above 2 tons"? I think I did. Have a look four lines up LOL.

[effectively

uneconomic

This is what I said only three lines up "uneconomic and inpractical for private or leisure owners."

I have already explained the rules and regulations that make loads above 3.5 tons so.

The majority of people towing

Again explained above somewhere. Driving licence laws take precident, then tow vehicle limits and then absolute limits as in statute.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

You're missing the point. The trailers here are designed to meet optimum loading charactaristics. That can only be achieved using a WD hitch system. It is not to correct an overload situation. It is to achieve ideal conditions. Your regulations prevent in cab controllers to be used and thus your use of drawbar brake systems which in turn prevent WD hitches from being used (I have seen one new WD hitch that can work with drawbar brake systems). Your trailers are a compromise design and less than optimum.

Where it should not be? Ask your own government this question. It is where you live that the loading of the trailers are less than optimum. Your use of surge brakes prevents this. Towing heavy loads is not that common in most of the world for consumers. Most of the rest of the world? Look at trailers in the USA, Canada, AUS, NZ. These are areas where it is very common for consumers to tow heavy loads long distances.

Thats a matter of opinion. The maximimum tow rating for the Trooper here is only 5,000lbs. The ideal tounge weight would be 500-750lbs. The Trooper can tow like this but its far less than ideal. Your tow rating is even higher apparently which would increase the optimum tounge weight even higher. No way is that Trooper going to sit perfectly level with 750lbs on the back and no way is the load on the front tires going to not be reduced. You can tow like this but it is not the ideal situation. A WD hitch solves this.

Until you experience the difference you can't possibly understand.

You have a law that prevents in cab control of trailer brakes. I guess your government feels people can't learn to use them, adjust them etc.

Hitch companies produce them. They are not owned nor operated by auto or trailer manufactures.

Loading of the tow vehicle with regards to passengers, luggage and fuel certainly do reduce the amount the vehicle can tow. When Isuzu or any other maker gives you the maximum tow rating the vehicles cargo must be subtracted. The UK is no different. Isuzu and others do not dismiss the vehicles GVWR in the UK. You still must adhere to its limits.

Reply to
Miles

We can solve this issue once and for all. Huw.. scan your USER MANUAL for the Trooper you have, SCAN the page that says what the maximum towing capacity is.. then post it here as a JPG attachment..

Chuck Burns

Reply to
Zex0s

There is no dispute on possible tow ratings in the UK. It's more Huw's assertion that WD hitches elsewhere in the world are a band-aide for improper loading design by Trailer manufactures outside the UK for possible monetary reasons so they can sell expensive hitch equipment.

Reply to
Miles

There is not now because it has been resolved. Other issues were diversions.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

To an extent. You still misunderstand tow ratings and fail to account for vehicle cargo and GVWR's.

Reply to
Miles

Reply to
mikltaz