Awful '02 Rodeo Handling Solution?

What's the best way to firm up the handling on an '02 2WD Rodeo? Between the way-too-soft torsion bars and springs, limp anti-sway bars, and soccer-mom-valved shock absorbers, I dont know where the most cost-effective place to start would be.

Reply to
LLNewman

When I purchased my '96 Rodeo a couple of months ago, I had the same problem...it handled like a boat. Like you, I wanted more precise handling. My approach was to change the shocks first and see what kind of effect it would have overall. I installed some KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on front and back and it made a huge difference. The handling is much better, with reduced nose diving when braking. While these shocks improved the ride quality and stability, my personal tastes would lead me to an even stiffer shock (like a Rancho RS5000) if had to do it again. Good luck.

Reply to
Lugnut

Shocks would be the first thing to replace by far. The stock shocks are horrible. My 1999 Amigo nose dived when braking and rolled badly around corners. I put Monroe SensaTrac shocks on and it greatly improved the handling. Since yours is 2WD you probably don't need much stiffer of a shock.

Reply to
milesh

Rodeo's aren't usually referred to as "soccer mom" so the first logical are shocks... especially if they are orginal on this '92. This is very easy to do for a DIY and doesn't need be terribly expensive.

But if you want true improvement (not just regaining what it was like when new) a sway bar kit is a must... a rear sway bar it sorely needs. and a stiffer front would also be an improvement. I don't often hear of people putting sway bars on Rodeo's since they ruin off-road articulation (usually they disconnect or remove them) but yours is 2x4 so you probably aren't interested in off-roading.

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

cost-effective

Also you can buy air bags from the air lift company for about 100 $ for 2 or from jegg's (online) for 70$. these are quick and cheap and go inside the coil springs. I use them to tow with and they work great not to mention really firming up the rear end of the truck. I even was able to put them in myself, it is very easy to do.

Reply to
john smith