cam angle sensor in 99 rodeo 2.6 4 cyl - how?

My daughter's 99 Rodeo has been diagnosed by the dealership and Auto Zone aand appears to need a cam angle sensor replacement. The dealer offered to do it for approx. $700 and I can get a sensor at Auto Zone for $143. Hmmmm....

So

  • Where is it?
  • Do I need to disconnect the battery, etc.?
  • Does it need to be timed after replacement?
  • How do I time it?

Thank you for any info, Nick

Reply to
nick

I have not looked into how Isuzu does it, but on most Jap imports the sensor is built into the distributor. Some however have the sensor bolted onto the head. Best to find a shop manual.

Reply to
Miles

1996 and later (OBD-2 versions) 2.6L engines have the crankshaft position sensor AKA Crank Angle Sensor built into the side of the block. The ealier versions were in the distributor.

Soooo, to answer the questions:

  1. Side of the block. The Chilton's tells you where exactly.
  2. No.
  3. Computer does that stuff on its own. Fuel injection rules for that reason alone, among others.
  4. See above.

Naturally, the stealership is showing why it is, well, a stealership.

Reply to
Alfred B

Thank you Miles for this info, it is much appreciated.

Now this project is looking a little more possible. I will find a Chiltons and go from there...

Nick

Reply to
nick