Check Engine

Hi, What does the "Check Engine" light mean on a 1999 LWB Citation Diesel. On the petrol version it is due to the emissions, but my hand book does not
tell me about my diesel version. Thanks

Check Engine is an "idiot light" that can have hundreds of underlying meanings, not neccessarily emissions-related. The only way to find out is to have the code read from on-board computer,then consult repair manual for exact meaning of that code. Any self-respecting engine repair shop will have a code reader (and charge you for reading the code), or you can buy one yourself. Cheapest types are around 40$ on ebay, but you still need a manual to interpret the code.
Peter
Peter wrote:

AutoZone stores will read the code for free. The majority of Check Engine codes are indeed emissions related.

You think there are many diesel Trooper Citations in States? My bet is that original poster is from UK. No Autozone there, sorry.
Peter
Check the gas tank cap. If it is not tighten, the check engine can go on. Even you tighten. It takes around 3 minutes to go off.

that