Check engine light

I have a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo LS 2WD.....today my check engine light came on. Is there a way to find out why it came on w/o taking it to a shop? I remember in one of my first cars you could turn the ignition as certain way
and it would flash a code that you could look up in a book. Anything like this in Isuzus? If so where can I find a list of what the codes mean and how do I get it to display?
Thanks in advance
Alok

AutoZone will read the codes for free.
- -- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com http://surf.to/cnewton ICQ: 4899169 Anti-Spam filter in place-- <delete remove-this. to respond to email>
Hi I had this problem afew time...Exhaust sensors...