Check Engine Light (Rodeo)

My '93 Rodeo 3.2L v6 started to lose power on the highway today and jump a bit. Then the check engine light came on and the problem went away. Then the light went off and the problem was back and on and on this went until I got home. Checked error codes and got Code 44. This is supposed to be low voltage on O2 sensor. O2 light never came on though. Any other possibilities other than an O2 sensor being bad? I don't want to plop down the cash for the O2 sensor unless I actually need it. Thanks.

Reply to
OrbitPinball.com

The O2 light only comes on every 90,000 miles. It's a timed thing.

Depending on your mileage, the O2 could actually be toast by now. Only other things I can think of that give that code, in most makes (don't own Isuzu anymore), are a bad/dirty MAF sensor (If you've got one in that engine family) that gives a funny reading to the ECU and the O2 picks up on that....bad injectors, so check those first, but O2's don't last forever.

Reply to
Alfred B

Alfred, Well, I think I know what is going on. I think my valve seals are gone and it's allowing oil into the combustion chamber and burning it up. I think it's probably letting quite a lot in to be giving me black smoke out my tail pipe. With the black smoke it wouldn't take long to get build up on the O2 sensor and kill it or make it read funny. What do you think? I noticed I've got some oil under my vehicle.

Reply to
OrbitPinball.com

Black smoke usually indicates fuel not oil.

Reply to
F.H.

So it's still a good chance the O2 sensor is just bad then.?

Reply to
OrbitPinball.com

I defer to others on that. You didn't mention how many miles and unless it's way up there I wouldn't be thinking valve seals. We've got a 92 with 117K and no oil use problems yet.

Reply to
F.H.

Well, mine uses up oil and I have a leak somewhere, just not 100% sure where. But it looks like valve seals and you never know possibly the oil pan too. It's got 184k miles. It's up there. ;)

I put a new O2 sensor in a few mins ago. Can't hurt with that many miles on it. I've had it since 100k miles and I had never changed it. So I guess I'll see how it does now. I cleared the codes to see if anything new pops up or if the code 44 shows back up now that the new sensor is in.

- Frank Gant

Reply to
OrbitPinball.com