Check transmission alert

what might cause an intermittent Check Transmission light to come on?

it happens while driving, performance drops significantly and when car stopped and restarted, light is no longer on and everything is normal. Have changed ATF fluids about once every couple years, level is normal, no burned odor in fluid.

Any recommendations/suggestions/quick check things?

trooper 93 with 85k miles

Reply to
Thomas

When was the last time the pan was dropped and the filter changed?

Reply to
miles

never - is it a hard-to-dyi task or just pickup filter part and open bolts? anything else to be aware of? thanks for the suggestion

Reply to
Thomas

if you have the bolts around pan, it's just messy but be aware of a couple things

  1. search groups.google.com with argument Isuzu Check Transmission
  2. you will find that some attributed problem to alternator, other replaced it without solution
  3. some have attributed it to bad electrical harness connection (without more specific info on where and which one)

maybe someone else will chime in and post their findings

Reply to
Dan S.

A general problem that can develope with modern computer controlled automatic transmissions is a bad electrical ground. Because of the different metals being bolted together (cask iron block, aluminum transmission, steel bolts, etc. electrolysis at the interface of the different metals can occur which won't weaken the physical connection, may not be visible, but can cause poor conductivity. Because the transmission needs a good electrical ground for the computer to function properly it may be as simple as creating a new ground. Mileage isn't much of a consideration in the developement of this condition (unless you drive in a corrosive environment), but 13 years is old enough for it to happen. Before spending any money I would run a wire from a good ground point on the transmission to a good ground point on the engine or chassis - you don't have anything to lose.

Reply to
Ed

ok, done today, guess it was the very first time in 13 years

what a messy job and thanks to all with the tips of parts and how-to's

no more lights on and hope it lasts that way for the next 13 years

Reply to
Thomas

Was the filter very dirty? The transmission fluid should be changed once a year in my opinion. Cheap way to extend the life of the transmission. Filter could last longer. Purchasing an after market pan or having the stock one drilled and tapped so a drain plug can be added makes things a lot less messy!

Reply to
miles

no, not that I could tell, looked just the same as the new filter, fluid also just like new and the inside of the pan was very clean like I initially wrote, I've changed fluids via dipstick pump every couple years

I considered drilling a hole into the pan but wasn't certain I'd be safe with my home-fashioned bolt, so perhaps will purchase an after market pan - any brands or types you'd recommend? any generic Napa part?

had to use Dexron-III instead of Dexron-II type fluid but the store claimed it was backward compatible with Dexron-II, hope that's true

Reply to
Thomas