Did Isuzu make a 4 cylinder 4x4 Rodeo Sport?

Or late model Amigo?

I could have swore I test drove a 99 model that was a 4x4 and a 4 cylinder several years ago, but I am having a damned hard time finding one now. They all seem to be V6's.

I have a 2001 rodeo sport that is 2wd with automatic. I'd like to add a 4wd front axle, manual locking hubs, transfer case and driveshaft. From what I've read the Isuzu transfer case is integrated into the transmission to some degree.

Does this mean a complete transmission swap if I have a 2wd transmission? What other problems might I expect along the way?

If I could find a truck suitable for a straight swap, I'd get it. But it took a while to find one that hadn't been bent or neglected.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
shrike

Yes. In 1999 Isuzu started making the Amigo with either the 4 or 6 cyl engines. In 2001 they changed the name to Rodeo Sport. I had a 1999 V6

4x4 Amigo and loved it. The V6 is potent making the little Amigo a very quick fun vehicle.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to f> Or late model Amigo?

Reply to
miles

Maintenance. I want to build one into an light weight expedition vehicle. In the field I'd rather pack spare parts and tools for the 4, instead of the 6. And there is some issues regarding the "devil you know" when dealing with this truck since I have brought a lot of things up to snuff. (Some neglected by the PO, some by the factory)

While it does sound like a difficult project to add the 4wd parts, I am wondering how difficult. I was kind of hoping that the transfer case would be a matter of adding some bits to the existing transmission assembly and adding a front driveshaft, CV joints, etc. If I could find a 4x4 that's suffered a rear impact it might not be _that_ bad. But I'd much prefer to get the opinion of somebody who knows the drivetrain in this truck before going any further.

Thanks!

Reply to
shrike

The 3.2 V6 is an awesome engine for power but not so hot for mileage. I had a 93 Amigo with a 2.6 4 cylinder previously and the mileage was a little better but it was slow in comparison to the 99 I have now. Andy

Reply to
Busman

My 99 V6 averaged about 17mpg city, 20 or so highway. I didn't think the 99+ 4 cyl got much better. I loved the power of the V6. Made the Amigo a sports car of sorts. Very quick.

Reply to
miles

Reply to
Busman