DIY Transmission on 91 Trooper 2.8

Ive got a 91 w/ a bad tranny (snyc-rail bearing). Is this something a DIY (Do It Yourself) guy can handle?
Any tips?
1991 Isuzu Trooper II 159K 2.8l 5-sp. manual w/ 4WD

ivkermit wrote:

Can you describe the problem with some detail ? Kind regards, Erik-Jan.
--

http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper

"Erik-Jan Geniets" wrote: > ivkermit wrote: > > > > Ive got a 91 w/ a bad tranny (snyc-rail bearing). Is this > something > > a DIY (Do It Yourself) guy can handle? > > > > Any tips? > > > > 1991 Isuzu Trooper II 159K 2.8l 5-sp. manual w/ 4WD > > > > Can you describe the problem with some detail ? > Kind regards, > Erik-Jan. > > -- > > http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper
Yeah. My dad bought me this vehicle for about $1,400 in Seattle. We took it to a Midas mechanic who said it needs transmission work.
I drove it 1,700 miles home the following day with no problem, just that the vehilce lacked power (I gave it a full tune-up before I left seattle, proper tire pressure etc.)
The clutch began to grind when I got home thats where Im at now.
For now Im going to pull out the transmission and take it a mechanic to have them look at it and possibly rebuild.
If you have any advice for me let me know.
ivkermit wrote:

So you are not sure if it is the clutch or the transmission it self. Remember the transmission (if manual) uses engine oil instead of gear oil. Check the manual for which oil to use exactly. The transmission and T-case are very heavy. Get the help of someone to lower it down. Use some adjustable straps attached to both sides of the chassis which will support it. This is easier then using a jack. A jack takes up working space and the thing might roll of. Tip: Unbolt the crossmember from the chassis. Use a lot of WD40. Leave the crossmember attached to the transmission. Although it will be heavier it is easier to handle. Yes you have to unbolt the starter motor. You can leave the wireing if you have the battery disconnected. Make sure not to forget any of the bellhousing bolts. Remember which one was where. They are allmost all different in size and length and there are quite a few of them. Good luck. Erik-Jan.
--

http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper

"Erik-Jan Geniets" wrote: > ivkermit wrote: > > > > > Yeah. My dad bought me this vehicle for about $1,400 in > Seattle. We > > took it to a Midas mechanic who said it needs transmission > work. > > > > I drove it 1,700 miles home the following day with no > problem, just > > that the vehilce lacked power (I gave it a full tune-up > before I left > > seattle, proper tire pressure etc.) > > > > The clutch began to grind when I got home thats where Im > at now. > > > > For now Im going to pull out the transmission and take it a > mechanic > > to have them look at it and possibly rebuild. > > > > If you have any advice for me let me know. > > > > So you are not sure if it is the clutch or the transmission it > self. > Remember the transmission (if manual) uses engine oil instead > of gear > oil. > Check the manual for which oil to use exactly. > The transmission and T-case are very heavy. Get the help of > someone to > lower it down. Use some adjustable straps attached to both > sides of the > chassis which will support it. This is easier then using a > jack. A jack > takes up working space and the thing might roll of. > Tip: Unbolt the crossmember from the chassis. Use a lot of > WD40. Leave > the crossmember attached to the transmission. Although it will > be > heavier it is easier to handle. > Yes you have to unbolt the starter motor. You can leave the > wireing if > you have the battery disconnected. Make sure not to forget any > of the > bellhousing bolts. Remember which one was where. They are > allmost all > different in size and length and there are quite a few of > them. > Good luck. > Erik-Jan. > > > -- > > http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper
I talked to a mechanic today hes going to look at the transmission after I pull it out.
It had a problem of poping out a second and into netural I believe this has something to do with the synchro-bearing (spelling?)
But I mostly likely need a new clutch plate (darn used vehicle getting expensive) because it was griding once I got it home, now you cant even shift it.
But Im going to have the transmission looked at first before I invest any money into this, Ive heard this particluar tranmission gives people problems.
Maybe I should just sell it.
"ivkermit" wrote: > I talked to a mechanic today he's going to look at the > transmission after I pull it out. > > It had a problem of poping out a second and into netural I > believe this has something to do with the synchro-bearing > (spelling?) > > But I mostly likely need a new clutch plate (darn used vehicle > getting expensive) because it was griding once I got it home, > now you can't even shift it. > > But I'm going to have the transmission looked at first before > I invest any money into this, I've heard this particluar > tranmission gives people problems. > > Maybe I should just sell it.
The power steering is also empty. Im not sure if it needs to be replaced or not. Looks like I got myself into a money pit.
ivkermit wrote:

Fill it up and see what happens. Erik-Jan.
"ivkermit" wrote: > I talked to a mechanic today he's going to look at the > transmission after I pull it out. > > It had a problem of poping out a second and into netural I > believe this has something to do with the synchro-bearing > (spelling?) > > But I mostly likely need a new clutch plate (darn used vehicle > getting expensive) because it was griding once I got it home, > now you can't even shift it. > > But I'm going to have the transmission looked at first before > I invest any money into this, I've heard this particluar > tranmission gives people problems. > > Maybe I should just sell it.
The power steering is also empty. Im not sure if it needs to be replaced or not. Looks like I got myself into a money pit.
ivkermit wrote:

Have not heard of these kind of problems before. Maybe this happens when the wrong oil was used.

You can always do that. On the other hand if you can sort it all out you will end up with a nice and good car.
--

http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper

I've not heard of any common problems... I did hear someone mention several years ago that there were problems with the earlier 5-speed tranny's. Dad's got a 1990 that sounds just like yours - 2.8 and 5-speed. In 120,000 miles (he bought it used with 3,000 on it) the only work other than routine parts replacement that he's had done is some transmission work. There was a problem with the main bearing in the transmission...the guy that worked on it said the failure had to be caused by a fault with the bearing (not up to spec or something)...he said the main bearing in a 1-ton Chevy pickup wasn't as heavy as the one in the Trooper! From what I've seen of his 1990, I'd almost rather have one of those than the newer models, the thing just won't quit!
How many miles are on yours?
Wesley

http://www.autoforumz.com/Isuzu-DIY-Transmission-91-Trooper-ftopict100702.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pF8448