'Failed' Tracking Rod Year 2001 Trooper

Any one had any experience of the effects of driving with a bent tracking rod? I recently had an accident (no one hurt) which my insurers are putting down to a previously bent tracking rod, allgedly
from several months earlier. I am told that if that were the case I would have noticed steering problems or at least uneven tyre wear, which I hadn't
Thanks
Lee