Front bumper crash

slightly offtopic, but what is the normal procedure in an accident for something like the following:

elderly man reverses his car (both cars standing in line on the road) and hits my trooper front bumper, trooper bumper drops slightly with visible gaps on both sides but has no cosmetic damage in the front

police were called and along with witnesses at accident site, he fully admitted to shifting into reverse and hitting my trooper

once I get the official police report in a couple days, does his insurance just pay for my repairs or is there something more to it?

as far as I could tell visually, if the bumper brackets could be straightened, the same bumper could be used or does the dealer usually replace entire bumper?

cost about $500 ?

are there any other parts that may have sustained damage which is not immediately obvious? it was a low speed hit but the sound was loud.

Reply to
Joe Isuzu

You don't say what year you Troop is... but you could have more damage than you think...if it has 5MPH bumpers the shock absorbers could be trashed. Just replacing bent brackets probably wouldn't do the trick.

Find a good reputable body shop and have them sort it out for you. Usually they have dealt with every insurance company in your area. When I was backed into by a lady (in the mall parking lot!) her insurance took care of everything including the rental car while mine was in the shop for four days. The body shop arranged everything for me. All she did was back into the front door post just behind the front wheel on the passenger side with her Ford Escort.

G' luck

Reply to
OrygunGuy

"Joe Isuzu" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com... | slightly offtopic, but what is the normal procedure in an accident for | something like the following: | | elderly man reverses his car (both cars standing in line on the road) | and hits my trooper front bumper, trooper bumper drops slightly with | visible gaps on both sides but has no cosmetic damage in the front | | police were called and along with witnesses at accident site, he fully | admitted to shifting into reverse and hitting my trooper | | once I get the official police report in a couple days, does his | insurance just pay for my repairs or is there something more to it? | | as far as I could tell visually, if the bumper brackets could be | straightened, the same bumper could be used or does the dealer usually | replace entire bumper? | | cost about $500 ? | | are there any other parts that may have sustained damage which is not | immediately obvious? it was a low speed hit but the sound was loud.

While eating dinner in a "nice" restaurant a little over a year ago, the restaurant manager came to the table and told me, quietly, that the valet parking attendant had wrecked my car. I thought that odd, since I had gotten there about fifteen minutes before the valet attendants showed up and had parked my (99) trooper myself and had the keys with me. The parking valet guy had let another car drift down a slight slope when he jumped out of it after not setting the parking brake sufficiently and that car drifted into my trooper. There appeared to be no damage when looking from "above". But the other car had struck the front bumper underneath on the passenger side and broken an aftermarket fog lamp, torn the (plastic? fiberglass?) bumper cover on the underside and in the corner of where the fog lamp inset is and damaged the right front fender slightly and, as I recall, the right under bumper and mount. The bumper looked very slightly "twisted" toward the passenger side when looking at it from down low.

My guess is that the other car was probably rolling at no more than 5 mph. Total cost was a little over $900, which the restaurant insurance covered totally, plus 4 days car rental for a car for me, which their insurance grumbled about but paid another $200 for. They said they didn't normally cover over 3 days so I told them to take that up with the repair place since I had no control over the garage schedule and just give me my money - I'd had to pay for the car rental initially - so they did reimburse me with no further trouble. The restaurant gave me a $75 gift certificate - basically only enough for one meal for my wife and I in this type place - which wasn't sufficient compensation for the aggravation of having to endure the repair process. As I recall, the bumper cover came to about $350-400 of the $900+ but I'm not certain about that. I think the cover was around $200 plus installation. I didn't really pay enough attention to the breakdown of the costs since I wasn't paying.

The "other" car was a junker sort of car and I'm not sure they could tell whether or not it had hit anything that night. It was all beat up from previous small "encounters". I couldn't tell where it had hit mine. The valet attendant showed me what part of the front had hit mine, but almost the entire front of that piece of junk had all the paint worn away and was not visibly damaged any further. They did replace both fog lamps on my trooper with a whole new set since they couldn't get a match. That was over $100 of the cost I think.

Chuck

Reply to
Charles

Sounds nasty,

I lost a bumper corner on my '88 in a parking lot, scraped off on a concrete barrier, I just had a look and ignored it, just cosmetic damage where the plastic corner tore off. Another time a few months later I got rear ended in city traffic when the car in front of me braked hard in the rain and THEN indicated a turn against oncoming traffic, the van behind me had a bullbar and in the rain ran into my rear left side, bent the bumper in about 1" at the most and bent the rear spare on the back door from the about 5* off vertical to exactly vertical. Other than that no damage, again all cosmetic, the van, A Mitsubishi L200 of about '85 vintage had a dent in the front where the bullbars had been bent back and crushed the front panel. Too badly bent to be just bashed out by a panelbeater. As it was a work van, and the guy driving behind was at fault, and I had no insurance, we decided to just ignore it and go out separate ways.

The Troopers and Bighorns will stand a hell of a bashing without showing much damage.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

"OrygunGuy" wrote

ok, thank you, will check that

how about possible changes to alignment? the bumper appears to be quite symmetrically left-side vs. right-side slightly dropped and pushed inside, in fact so little that I suspect it's a minor cosmetic issue.

I just feared that the other drivers insurance adjustor may claim that minimum damage

Reply to
Susa Ali-M?nk?re