Funky Coolant Problem 99 Amigo

Yesterday, temp gauge goes nuts, going between center of gauge and HOT. Pulled over and sure enough, low coolant. Took alomost a full jug of pre-mixed coolant. This is the second time in 2 months this has happened. No
coolant in oil, no coolant leaks that I have found. Runs great. I added a can of stop leak this time to see what happens. 75k on V6. I suspect a small leak on a lower hose but I have not smelled anti-freeze (and I know the smell well from blown head gaskets on VWs). Any thoughts? Andy