Funky Noise When Turning Sharply

Hello everyone.
I just bought a '96 Trooper LS three months ago. No problems until just today when the steering started making a groaning sound at turns that worsens (loudens) with the sharpness of
the turn.
This still applies while static.
I got out & checked as soon as i started hearing it - it makes the same noise regardless of whether the vehicle is in motion. It seems a bit early for power steering fluid maintenence...
any ideas or advice?
thank you in advance,
Jae Raleigh NC
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

At first I thought you might be referring to worn out CV joints that make a clacking sound when turning. However, the vehicle would have to be in motion.
What makes you feel its too soon for steering fluid maintenance? Your vehicle is 11 years old. Have you checked the power steering fluid level?

----> i checked & added a touch more even though it was mostly full. i also added a quart of oil to see if that would help, even though my oil guage reads fine with oil as well.
it's still moaning when i turn (left mostly).
PS _ there's not any clacking per se & i can tell i haven't popped open a cv boot, i checked for all that, as i've experienced that before in another vehicle. no sludge leakage or anything...
- it's more of a hissy sort of straining sound that seems to be stronger on the driver side, but that could just be because i'm closer to it so it seems louder on that side..