Funny Electrical

I have a 1986 Isuzu Trooper II whos engine I have just finished completely rebuilding with the financial support of my father and technical support of a workshop manual. After fine tuning the engine and whatnot me and my
mother took it out for a drive. It was fun but there is definately something wrong with the electrical. Symptoms include but are not limited to: Will not start with 4x4 engaged All lights got dim and eventually went out while driving parking brake low fuel and fasten seatbuilt light remain illuminated Heater only works in defrost mode and on high only after headlights have been turned on Its some pretty weird stuff if anybody can give me some advice that would begreat or if you have any questions about a 1986 isuzu trooper don't hesitate to ask I might not now but Imight find somebody who will!
StormTrooper46 wrote:

Good be anything really. Looks like you mixed some wiring up after replacing the engine. Check everything you have disconnected first. Wires broken, still disconnected, missing.... Take a special notice at the wiring around the alternator. Some of the symptoms look alternator/rectifier related. If this doesn't help maybe you can try a repairshop in you area specialized in car electrics. Good luck, Erik-Jan.
--

http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper

also if this helps anybody it is a california model with all the smog filters and valves and whatnot.

I would start by testing the alternator and battery. A depleted battery and a faulty alternator will have those weird symptoms you describe.
Your local AutoZone or auto-parts store can usually do the tests for you.
The alternator and battery were both replaced when I rebuilt this engine. So it can't be those unless I got bad ones of both which would be an odd coincidence.
StormTrooper46 wrote:

But...is the wireing O.K. Sure looks like a problem there. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.
Erik-Jan Geniets wrote:

I would concur. Have you checked the output of the alternator to determine if it is charging? Should be over 13 volts at the battery with the engine running.
I wouldn't assume anything works on a vehicle simply because it was recently replaced.
Edd
I concur it being something electrical.
I sounds to me like you're missing an earth connection - that's about the only common item that can result in this behaviour as your car's electrics try to find a low resistance return path ...