Getting the wheels off

I've been told by my localdealer that the wheel nuts are always very hard to get on and off, is this for real? Something to do with the metal I'm told.......Can this be true???????? Answers please , Many thanks.

Reply to
Richard Sharp

I believe that this is more of a problem with steel wheels tha with alloys. I was told not to use an impact wrench when removing/replacing wheels as the studs tend to break easily. Never broken one on eith of my Amigos. Both have/had alloys. Andy

99 Amigo
Reply to
Busman

Richard,

I have a '96 Rodeo, that I've "spun" at least 3 and maybe 4 studs in since I've had it. All on the front wheels. Steel wheels with center caps, and of course, no way to get the nut loose from the stud once the stud spins loose in the hub. So... after spending about 2hrs trying to figure out how to get it loose, without damaging the center cap beyond repair, finally figured a way. Used a hole saw and cut a hole big enough in the center cap to allow it to slip over the nut. Then just cut the nut/stud off so I could get the wheel off. After this happened a second time. I put some weld on the back of the studs to help hold them in place. Still happened at least once more since then, but at least not several times like I was afraid it would.

Reply to
43fan

"43fan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hereintown.net:

center

since

i've definitely had issues with mine as well. i've been told that the problem is caused by isuzu using aluminum lug studs from the factory. when you put a steel nut on an aluminum stud it causes some pretty funky corrosion issues. a local tire shop suggested i use an anti- sieze lubricant on the studs (permatex makes a pretty good one) and i havent had any problems since...

Reply to
electro punk