GOODBYE 99 Trooper I got My Money's Worth

I traded in my 99 Trooper, 156,000+

After driving a few months with my ABS light on, my CHECK light flashing on my TOD, the seal on my windshield leaking and getting 15 miles a gallon. I changed the orginal timing belt at 70,000, so that was due for replacing.

She was road long and hard. She was worth the money.

Reply to
verbal

We all mourn your loss.

My 98 with 154,000 miles is still going strong. Starter problem was the only major breakdown over last 5 years.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

I'm still breaking in a 1993 LS model. Has only 76k miles, all original by me. Just replaced entire front end bits, joints, boots, serviced all 4 locking hubs, resurfaced rotors and replaced all brake parts. Also serviced alternator, started and installed a new high performance radiator. Finally, popped out the factory CD player and factory radio-cassette player and installed a new panasonic all-in-one wonder with flashy bits, iPod and XM ready. I put a custom built CD tray into the bottom slot where the original CD player used to be (tough location as the transmission shift knob (AT) was always in the way of the CD popping in and out.

Reply to
tutu

Wow! Sounds like you've got quite a gem there... I thought our 2002 had low mileage having just turned over 30k. By age comparison, you've got us beat! Our 94 has 142k on it, my parents 93 is somewhere in the 150k range.

I don't know how your radio was holding up, but the factory casette/radio units in our 94 and my parents 93 and 94 Troopers all went to pot in the last 2 years or so. Speakers cutting out was the main problem. I'm guessing a flaky solder joint somewhere, but who knows. They've all got new CD players in them now...MUCH better. Well, except mom's 93...it's got my brother's old CD player unit that is now shot and worse off than the old factory radio...

That's a neat idea to custom-build a CD tray where the CD player was. Can you provide some tips on how you built it?

Wesley

Reply to
Wesley

Reply to
Ed H.

My daughter is now driving my 93 with over 168K on it. Had to rebuild the tranny arouind 100K, bad luck I guess, but other then that it's been rock solid. A few general ware part issues but nothing major.

Reply to
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

care to tell a little details? did you take into local shop or did you swap it out with a place that sends out new core with all new bits inside and your old core is sent back?

how did you pick who would do the rebuild, unless you did it yourself?

many places in the states do this for around $1100-1750 and even St Charles Isuzu will do it with a brand new unit for about $3400 and they don't need old core back. the last option is a brand new transmission, nothing rebuilt

Reply to
tutu