Grinding brakes on 94 trooper

I got a brake question for the gurus... A while back, my wife's 94 Trooper started having the brakes occasionally make a grinding (almost metal-on-metal) sound when stopping. I took it to the shop and when I got
it back, they had turned the rotors (can't remember if it was just 2 or all 4). Said they were "rough as a cobb". Well, didn't have it back long till it's started doing it again. Has anyone else run into this problem? Any idea what might be causing this and what to do to prevent it? This Trooper sees mostly short across-town sort of trips...
Thanks,
Wesley
Wesley wrote:

You didn't say if they replaced the pads. We recently had an experience where the wife kept asking me if I heard a squeak. I didn't the first few times. When I finally did, I knew it was the front brakes. Turns out the the pads were coupled with a metal stamping where the ends were bent over on each end of the pad in such a way as to start rubbing on the rotors before the pads are worn all the way down to replacement stage. If you looked you could see plenty of pad which made it hard to figure. But I knew it was in the brakes and as soon as I got the pads off I could see the problem. Still don't know if it was designed that way (to cause all kinds of racket before you lost all the pads) or it was just a bad set of pads.
Frank
I guess it's possible it's something in the pads...if memory serves (I'd have to dig up the invoice to say for sure) they said the pads were still in good shape and so they didn't replace them. What I'm hearing isn't a squeak (though the wife may have mentioned that too now that I think about it) but more of a grinding/groan sort of a sound. Maybe bad pads causing the problem?
Thanks,
Wesley

Trooper
got
all
till
Any
Trooper
Wesley wrote:

It's not impossible that they could miss the problem with the pads. Also, I wouldn't say it wasn't like grinding at times. I'd look for the invoice to be sure. If they left the old pads on, maybe go down to the local auto parts store and ask if you could look at a few sets of pads (AutoZone has three price ranges) to maybe get an idea of what I'm describing.
Have similar grinding noise (not metalic pad-wear indicator noise) 1st thing in the morning. After using the brake for a short while, say.....depress brake pedal + accelerator pedal at the same time for about 30-meters....the sound goes away for the rest of the day. Have it checked and mechanic also said pad is o.k.
Mine a 1997 3.1TDi Trooper.

still in

squeak
but
I had that sort of thing happen with my 92 Caravan the first stop every morning...there ended up being something that was going bad in the rear brakes...plus the guy said before he looked at it that it could be brake dust and the like that has built up in them...but those are drum brakes, and the trooper is disc all around...
Sounds like yours may be making a similar sound, but this one doesn't seem to vary when it does it.
Wesley

(I'd
it)
Hi. The 1997 Trooper has disc brake all around alright. But the mechanic who serviced my brake (but still couldn't cure the noise) told me that there is a inner drum brake (?) acting as handbrake.

the
the
Yeah, that's what my mechanic said too...he said it was set up like a Corvette...or at least I think it was a corvette he said... Anyway, like you said, disc brakes on the outside, and inner drum parking brake. Pretty wild! I definitely want to try to avoid having to replace one of those rotors!
Wesley

serves
were
isn't
about
the
pads
I used to have a older model (UBS55) that had a rear disc brake. That model's handbrake can never be made to work properly. And apparently, I am not the only one. Maybe Isuzu finally realise that and gone more complicated with a inner drum handbrake.

causing
pads.
for