Heater - no heat (brrrr)...

I just bought my '89 Isuzu Trooper (2.6L 4cyl.) as a project for and my son and I. It is now winter time and I just tried to run the heater, and no heat (air is blowing fine). We replaced the thermostat, and flushed the system, but no joy.

Not looking forward to replacing the heater core (assuming that is the right course of action) - does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, schmen and son

Reply to
schmen

Get cooling-system cleaner at your car parts store. Add it to the sytem. Follow the instructions that go with it. While idling the engine with the cleaner make sure the heater is turned on. Drain the system and fill it up with new coolant. Kind regards, Erik-Jan. b.t.w. I have the same problem with mine. Did not try to clean it yet.

Erik-Jan Geniets

I'm thinking if it was the heater core, you would have coolant leaking somewhere. Absent that problem, is the water pump working?

Reply to
DollarBill

"DollarBill" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Another thought would be; Is the cable going to the heater valve working or could it have slipped off at one end or the other?

Reply to
Brett Williams

Just check: Enough cooling liquid in the system? (Level) Check for air also. Engine does not run hot ? No leakage anywhere? Heater core can be blocked by dirt inside.... Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Erik-Jan Geniets

Thanks for all the suggestions...

- The fan is working fine. - There is no leak - The engine is not running hot - The water pump does seem to be ok - the fluid appears to be circulating.

From the suggestions made so far, I'm guessing that it is either the core, or possibly the cable running to the temperature control. Any suggestions as to how I could test if it is the cable slipping (maybe manually adjusting the valve, wherever that may be)?

Thanks.

Reply to
schmen

Just look under the dash. Move the lever on the dash. Now you can see what actually has to move. b.t.w. Left side of the dash. Cable broken or came loose ? Is also possible. If so, move the lever underneath by hand. Heating must work o.k. then. Otherwise, clean the core inside. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.

Erik-Jan Geniets

Reply to
David P.Naylor