Heater - no heat (brrrr)...

I just bought my '89 Isuzu Trooper (2.6L 4cyl.) as a project for and my son and I. It is now winter time and I just tried to run the heater, and no
heat (air is blowing fine). We replaced the thermostat, and flushed the system, but no joy.
Not looking forward to replacing the heater core (assuming that is the right course of action) - does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, schmen and son
schmen wrote:

Get cooling-system cleaner at your car parts store. Add it to the sytem. Follow the instructions that go with it. While idling the engine with the cleaner make sure the heater is turned on. Drain the system and fill it up with new coolant. Kind regards, Erik-Jan. b.t.w. I have the same problem with mine. Did not try to clean it yet.
http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper

I'm thinking if it was the heater core, you would have coolant leaking somewhere. Absent that problem, is the water pump working?

Another thought would be; Is the cable going to the heater valve working or could it have slipped off at one end or the other?
--
I work very hard to maintain this level of ignorance!

Brett Williams wrote:

Just check: Enough cooling liquid in the system? (Level) Check for air also. Engine does not run hot ? No leakage anywhere? Heater core can be blocked by dirt inside.... Kind regards, Erik-Jan.
http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper
Thanks for all the suggestions...
- The fan is working fine. - There is no leak - The engine is not running hot - The water pump does seem to be ok - the fluid appears to be circulating.
From the suggestions made so far, I'm guessing that it is either the core, or possibly the cable running to the temperature control. Any suggestions as to how I could test if it is the cable slipping (maybe manually adjusting the valve, wherever that may be)?
Thanks.

schmen wrote:

Just look under the dash. Move the lever on the dash. Now you can see what actually has to move. b.t.w. Left side of the dash. Cable broken or came loose ? Is also possible. If so, move the lever underneath by hand. Heating must work o.k. then. Otherwise, clean the core inside. Kind regards, Erik-Jan.
http://www.fotograaf.com/trooper
has someone replace the hoses to the heater if so maybe there on backewards with the engine on and hot feel the hoses if one is hot and the other is cold that is your problem reverse them if not then check you temp control cable